Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Day 22: Eating Vegetarian on Ram and Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Sizzling Crepes)

Today is ram (the 15th day of the lunar month). While I don't observe Buddhist vegetarian days, my oldest uncle's family does. So sometimes, I get altar offerings. I wonder sometimes, how much culture I retain through osmosis?
Day 22 Xoi Dau Xanh for Ram
And banh xeo (Vietnamese sizzling crepes), also from the same auntie but from a different day.
Day 22 Banh Xeo
P.S. And to the person who copied my recipe for banh xeo-ish pajeon, but labeled it only banh xeo, I know the way I write and I know that wasn't your creation. So even though you copied my recipe without attributing it to me, I still know it's mine. By the way, there's a reason why I didn't call it a banh xeo. It's not. Chalk one up for karma because if you attempt to use a recipe for a thick pancake to make a thin, crispy crepe, it will not yield proper results. I'll leave it at that. ***** 1 year ago today, bruschetta al pomodoro (Italian tomato bruschetta).

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE BANH XEO and I haven't had it in ages! And for the person who kyped your recipe - that's just weird. Why would anyone do such a stupid thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki,
    Ah, that means I gotta get around to making some so you can have a recipe. :) I think if someone's stealing content, they're not particularly concerned about accuracy either. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How'd you happen to come upon that website? Did someone tip you off, or you usually browse that site, or sheer dumb luck? Hehe I want to see that site, I wonder if they took down the recipe post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannie,
    I don't remember. Probably stumbled upon it? It was someone's personal blog so it was just a minor annoyance, except that they were woefully ignorant about how recipes worked. I guess they just saw the banh xeo part and figured it'd work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, but to post someone else's photo without attribution just seems obnoxious. When was planning to see my mom the other night, she said she had some cha ca Thang Long for me. I said slyly, "I wouldn't mind if you had banh xeo either." She just laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikki,
    This time was a recipe. The photo incident happened last year. And she swears she never got my requests for her to attribute the photo, even though I left multiple comments. I just think it's stupid that she took out all the references to the Korean pancake part, and just labeled it banh xeo. They're such different dishes that using that recipe to try to make something it's not, just won't turn out right.

    One time my second-youngest uncle was making banh xeo and my aunts were plotting a visit so they'd be invited to eat as well. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!