Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Presenting... My Sushi and Dim Sum Quilt

The recent cold blast finally spurred me to finish quilting my sushi and dim sum quilt.
Presenting... My Sushi and Dim Sum Quilt 1
It's the largest quilt I've made to date - twin-sized at 76 inches wide and 84 inches long, but large enough to cover my full-size bed. Made up of leftover fabric from pajama pants I made five years ago. Interspersed with plain cream-colored blocks and sashes so the focus would be on the green and blue blocks. I found a nice cream-colored queen-size sheet with pale blues and greens that seemed to coordinate with the sushi and dim sum blocks. I cut strips from that sheet to create the border and keystone blocks. I like how the slight bit of color in the keystone blocks served to break up the all-cream-colored parts, but weren't bold enough to overpower the sushi and dim sum prints.
Presenting... My Sushi and Dim Sum Quilt 2
I quilted very large stitches on both sides of the seams.
Presenting... My Sushi and Dim Sum Quilt 3
Presenting... My Sushi and Dim Sum Quilt 4
See? The border fabric sort of matches? And it only cost me $3 for the sheet, which I used to cover the whole back. The sushi and dim sum fabrics were leftovers. I had two kinds of cream colored fabric, a plain one and a cream-on-cream embroidered one. Both were free from my mom's stash. And I used a 40% off coupon for the batting. So all-in-all, this quilt cost me less than $10 total in materials. Not a bad way to use up leftover fabric. This is the first time I put on a binding, and I like how "finished" it looks.
Presenting... My Sushi and Dim Sum Quilt 5
Here's what the back side looks like.
Presenting... My Sushi and Dim Sum Quilt 6
It's pretty lightweight so more of a summer quilt, so lil' sis has been sleeping underneath this quilt and a flannel one. C'mon, why don't you start quilting too. :) ***** 1 year ago today, lil' sis's Chinese Sunbonnet Sue quilt and I started this sushi and dim sum quilt. Go see lil' sis's quilt and pay her lots of compliments! :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chopsticks,
    I am so glad to see you are still quilting! It turned out great. I am very impressed that you did the whole thing for $10.
    Yes, I see how the border works very nicely. It does not overpower at all.
    It looks like you handquilted it, too. Very nice work.

    I hope you enjoy sleeping under it for a very long time!

    I am working on a binding today for the king-sized one I pieced last winter/spring. I hope to have it on my bed by tomorrow night. I am going to post a pic later today of how long the binding piece is. It's very long - about 37 feet--I started sewing it yesterday.

    I hope you have a very happy new year, Miss Chopsticks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoey,
    My one quilt is only half the size of one of yours and you make multiple ones a year! But thanks for the compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. I'm so friggin' impressed!!!

    It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!