Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sriracha Buffalo Wings

Sriracha Buffalo Wings 1

OK, this post was supposed to go up in time for ya'll's New Year's Eve parties, but you don't need a special occasion to eat these wings! In Buffalo, New York, where the wings were invented, the traditional preparation is to deep-fry the wings and toss them with a simple mixture of Fred's Red Hot Sauce and butter. And there's no better vinegary hot sauce, than the Vietnamese-American garlicky-spicy creation Huy Fong Foods, Inc.'s Sriracha chili hot sauce. Actually, they have their own recipe for hot wings, which is pretty much mine! Hmph! Well, I guess with such simple ingredients, there's not that much variation. :P



Sriracha Buffalo Wings 2

Sriracha Buffalo Wings 

For about 1 pound of wings, you'll need:
1/4 cup Huy Fong Food Inc.'s Sriracha chili hot sauce
1/2 cup Shedd's Spread Country Crock (Actually, while I prefer real ingredients for most of my cooking, real butter doesn't cling as well. So, I like Shedd's Spread for the buttery taste, but any other margarine of your choice is fine.)
1 tblsp rice wine or white wine vinegar
1 tsp salt

Wash 1 lb of wings and cut them at the joints. Toss with 1 tsp salt and set aside.

Turn oil onto medium to medium-high and when the oil is hot enough, deep fry the wings until crispy and golden. Yes, you can bake the wings to be healthier, but really, if you're slathering them with butter for sauce, you're not really paying that much attention to healthy eating are you?

In another pan, on low heat, melt 1/4 cup Huy Fong Food Inc.'s Sriracha chili hot sauce and 1/2 cup Shedd's Spread Country Crock. When the mixture has melted, taste, and add 1 tblsp of vinegar.

I like foods pretty tart so if you don't, start with 1 tsp of vinegar and add 1 tsp at a time until the sauce is to your liking. Proportions can easily be adjusted according to your spicy tolerance so that's why I suggest you start at 1/4 cup hot sauce and add more if you like spicy.

For myself, I like an equal 1:1 ratio of Sriracha and butter, with a few dabs of vinegar, but you may not be able to stand that much spice. You can easily add more butter to tone down the spiciness. Don't skimp on the butter as it imparts a smooth sweet mildness to offset the spicy chili sauce.

Keep the sauce on low heat because a warm sauce coats the wings more easily. When the wings are crispy, drain, and then toss them into the sauce mixture.

Serve with celery and carrot sticks and homemade Blue Cheese Dressing.

Enjoy!

*****  
1 year ago today, Cinnamon Rolls.

18 comments:

  1. Nice use of the Sriracha! Maybe that's what was in those VERY SPICY hot wings I had last night. Took me forever to finish each piece. Did you secretly fly to Ohio?!!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love buffalo wings - I had some for lunch today! Yours sounds EXTRA spicy , I would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the combination of coconut and peanuts. These sound spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bf would love these! Thanks for the recipe. Happy New Year WC! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lipsmacking Good!

    I made them the second time with a T of honey and that was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in rural Arkansas and cannot find the Sirachas sauce.

    Can I use something else?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonny,
    Glad you tried it out. The honey addition sounds great! I'll have to try that one of these days.

    Janelle,
    You can use any other hot sauce and make regular Buffalo wings. :) Or order from Huy Fong online. You can order by the case or a sample pack of 4 or 5 types of their full-size bottles of sauces for $7. The sample pack info is here http://www.huyfong.com/frames/fr_sample.htm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made them with Sriracha, Sweet Chili Sauce and a hit of fish sauce.

    Magnifique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Fred,
    Thanks! I'm glad you liked them. I like your addition of sweet chili sauce. May have to try that myself one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cleaning up comments and some had to be deleted. This was my previous response comment.

    Hillary,
    These were super spicy! Coconut and peanuts? Commented on the wrong post? :)

    Amy,
    Hehe, doesn't take much to substitute one type of hot sauce for another. ;)

    January 6, 2008 4:48 PM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ever since I found this post a year ago I've used Sriracha as my base sauce for hot wings. I only ever use real butter and I've found that as long as you heat it slowly and add the Sriracha at the same time it doesn't clarify and separate, so it clings just fine. My roommates and I are all total Chiliheads so I crank up the heat with a dab of Dave's Insanity Bhut Jolokia sauce (the Jolokia is the hottest pepper out there; beating the Habanero by about 6 times the heat level.) Plus other sauces for different heat zones. But the sriracha remains the best base for all around great flavor. So thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Benjamin,
    I'm glad you've been enjoying the recipe. I'll have to try using real butter again, it just didn't seem to coat as well as Shedd's Spread when I did it. I've read about the jolokia peppers and it scares the bejeebers out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made this, only I used Earth Balance (vegan margarine) and fried tofu. It was amazing! I haven't had hot wings in years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Herbivore,
    Awesome! It's great to know the sauce even worked on tofu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man after a sleepless night and waking up to read your top 11 post of 07 I think I need a quick fix. I am tired of the old traditional franks red hot sauce and wings,I have yet to try these but will do this today.thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi WC,
    tried this recipe last night, I double the ingredient cuz I have 2lbs of wing, guess what, it turns out too salty :( but we still manage to finish them all. Next time will be better...thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. David,
    Forget Frank's. Sriracha is better! :P

    Christine,
    Why don't you adjust the salt down if you're finding the recipes too salty? What kind of salt are you using? I generally cook with sea salt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!