Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, December 22, 2007

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party



Sorry the pictures are so blurry. I was standing at the top of the staircase and zooming in so you could get a sense of the whole length of the table, or rather two long and one round table placed end to end. This is how it's been like for the past few holiday parties, but this time, we were celebrating my dad's 60th birthday. I previously wrote about why lil' sis and I are such daddy's girls.

Close-ups of the food below.

My mom made suon nai xa (Vietnamese venison ribs with lemongrass).



And venison tendon Chinese herbal stew with shiitake mushrooms, goji berries, and I couldn't identify what else.



Since it turned out so well when we got stuff catered for the home ceremony at the family wedding last summer, I decided to do it again. The banh bot loc (Vietnamese shrimp dumplings), 100 dumplings for $23, and banh cuon (Vietnamese steamed rice noodle sheets stuffed with pork), $2.75 a lb, are from Banh Mi & Che Cali Restaurant in Alhambra.



As well as the Goi Du Du (Vietnamese Papaya Salad), $20 a tray, and banh beo (Vietnamese steamed rice discs), 100 pieces for $18.



I also picked up 5 roast ducks and 5 pounds of roast pig from Seaworld Seafood Restaurant's BBQ and Dim Sum To Go in Rosemead. The banh hoi (Vietnamese steamed rice vermicelli sheets) is Minh Phung brand, delivered fresh and still warm to the San Gabriel Superstore at 11 a.m.



My sister-in-law's mother brought the Pineapple Fried Rice. She carved out two pineapples to make four bowls. I'm lazy and just put it in my pineapple-shaped ceramic bowl.



And of course, no birthday party is complete without the cake. We got the shell cake, chocolate cake with mixed fresh fruit filling, from Kiki Bakery in Alhambra.



I made another Tiramisu, but lil' sis couldn't wait until dinner and decided to make a mini-tiramisu that she just had to show you because it was just so cute.



I also made this. Can you guess what it is?

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 21

*****
1 year ago today, I began my "fun food" category with spotted dick pudding and kalonji seeds.

6 comments:

  1. I'm gonna say that it looks like matcha tiramisu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good gracious, girl, that is some spread! I will keep your catering source in mind for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw i missed out on tendon stew and black mushrooms!

    its a drag going out with a baby. she was having too much fun playing with someone's dog.

    t

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that looks so good, wish I was the adopted child. ;) I miss LA. Wish we had food like that in Mpls.
    -Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi WC - Wow, what a spread! Love the aerial view....if you didn't tell us how you took it, I'd guess it was from one of those overhead cams they use during football games!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly,
    Thanks for visiting my blog! Darn it! You guessed it. I made it too easy huh?

    Nikki,
    Their banh bot loc and banh beo aren't as good as homemade, but it'll do in a pinch. Or if you want better homemade, my aunt caters so just let me know and I can pass along her number. We didn't use her for this or the wedding b/c we wanted her to enjoy herself instead of being busy cooking for us.

    t,
    You missed out!

    Toni,
    I met up with people visiting from Minneapolis last summer and they were going crazy buying stuff for much cheaper here.

    Kirk,
    Heh, awful grainy images means football cam? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!