Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Soon Dubu Kimchi Chigae (Korean Soft Tofu Kimchee Stew)


This recipe is so simple it doesn't even really require a recipe. I prefer to make this when I already have a batch of either beef or pork bulgogi at the ready so that there's already seasoning. Add in the kimchee and I rarely need to add anything besides extra chili for the kick. Just toss all the ingredients together until the meat is cooked. :P



Soon Dubu Kimchee Chigae (Korean Soft Tofu Kimchee Stew)

For a 2-quart pot, you'll need:

1 block silken or soft tofu, drained and cubed
Half a dozen slices or so of daeji bulgogi (Korean spicy pork), or any other meat of your choosing
As much napa cabbage kimchee as you'd like
1/2 onion, sliced
As much gochujang (Korean chili paste) as you wish
Shrimp, if you wish

On the stove on medium-high heat, add a few drizzles of sesame oil and saute the onion slices and pork until it's mostly cooked. Then add tofu cubes, kimchee, and a tblsp or so of gochujang. Fill the pot with water just until the ingredients are covered and let simmer on medium-low for about 15 minutes so the pork juices and kimchee have time to flavor the soup. Taste and add more chili paste or salt if necessary. Add shrimp and let simmer just until shrimp turns pink, about another 5 minutes.

That's it! So simple right? Serve this with rice.

Enjoy!

My other Korean stew recipes:
Budae Jjigae (Korean Army Base Stew)

13 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make something with cabbage lately. I think I'll pick up an extra head of nappa and try your recipe. I haven't made bulgogi, however, and will have to substitute with some other seasoned meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good use of leftover daeji bulgogi. Nice and simple and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it must be so good over a hot steam rice!!!you made me so hungry...i need to cook something asian inspired now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice and hot! we all need recipes like that up our sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - great idea to warm up winter with all that spicy food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love kim chi jigae! Mmm comfort food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this though it requires no recipe. I just bought 2 big packs of korean kimchi from Costco Taiwan. At last, I found kimchi that does not contian MSG. :)

    Hey, thanks for the heads-up on BiggestMenu. I took a 2nd look after a few days and realized the post seems to be gone. I need to check again. Boo hoo...such pple with no integrity...:(

    Anyway, thks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey WC - Looks perfect for the weather......

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is watering trying to imagine this spicy stew over rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy!!!Mine somehow looks so mushy compares to yours (still tastes great though) Next time I'll try adding kimchi as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nikki,
    You don't have to have seasoned meat, but for Korean flavors, I do think you need the Korean chili paste, or at least kimchee.

    Kevin,
    Yup! It's a quickie go-to meal.

    Dhanggit,
    Who needs Asian-inspired when you cook much fancier stuff!

    Daphne,
    Yeah, we can't all spend hours in the kitchen.

    W&S,
    Heh, you can add it to your tofu repertoire.

    Jeannie,
    Is it weird to have a comfort food that I didn't grow up eating? :P

    Tigerfishy,
    I got your back lady! She deleted it after I raised a big stink. It's just weird to me why she would want to pretend your homecooking is her's in the first place! Is she thinking to impress people?

    Kirk,
    Yes indeed!

    Marvin,
    It was quite tasty!

    Hedgehog,
    Next time try dicing the tofu instead of mushing it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use a similar recipe except I use it in a hotpot instead. Fun and tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!