Monday, December 24, 2007

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea


I made it too easy to guess what this is huh? Doesn't it look like an alien landscape, all weirdly green?


After discovering how quick and easy it was to make tiramisu, I decided to try making a matcha green tea tiramisu. The version I had at Italian Tomato was actually not that spectacular - not much green tea flavor and rather dry. And in looking at the photo again, I think my green tea tiramisu looks tastier! :) Lil' sis kept urging me not to do it because she remembered not being impressed with their green tea tiramisu either. But I promised her I'd make a normal one just in case. As it turned out, we ate all of the cake and regular tiramisu and there was just a small portion of this left. Two of my cousins had dibs on the leftovers.

I like my green tea bold in flavor, no subtlety here. The green tea is very bitter so I was worried about how it'd turn out, but the sweetness of the whipped cream evened it out. If you want to drink the leftover green tea, I'd advise adding lots and lots of sugar.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea

For a 2-quart-sized bowl, you'll need:

2 cups matcha green tea, dissolve 2 tblsp matcha green tea powder in 2 cups hot water
1 16-oz package Sara Lee poundcake, or 1 package of ladyfingers
1 to 1 1/2 cups whipped cream (If buying packaged, allow to soften to room temperature before using and decrease sugar to 1/4 cup.)
1/2 cup sugar (1/4 cup sugar if using packaged whipped cream, since it's already pre-sweetened.)
1 8-oz container mascarpone cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
matcha green tea powder for dusting

Boil 2 cups water and add 2 tblsp green tea powder. Stir and let cool in fridge.

Whip cream. A 1 pint container should give you enough whipped cream for this recipe. Or do what I did and buy 1 quart, and turn the remaining whipped cream into butter. Set aside.

Spoon about 3 tblsp of whipped cream into a bowl of the mascarpone cheese and 1/2 cup sugar. If you're using packaged whipped cream, decrease sugar to 1/4 cup, unless you have a really sweet tooth. Beat the mascarpone, sugar, 3 tblsp of whipped cream, and 1 tsp vanilla extract until softened.

Then with a spatula, gently blend 1 cup of whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture. Taste and add up to another 1/2 cup until it's to your liking.

Now you're ready to start assembling.

Cut the poundcake into 1-inch wide strips. Using chopsticks, or your fingers, dip the poundcake into the green tea. I like my tiramisu very moist so I make sure all sides of the poundcake are covered. Lay the pieces until the bottom of the bowl is covered. Add a layer of the mascarpone/whipped cream mixture. Sprinkle a light layer of green tea powder. Add another layer of the tea-soaked poundcake. Then another layer of the mascarpone/whipped cream.

Dust with matcha green tea on top.

Chill in fridge at least an hour before serving.
Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. oh i tried this. not sweet enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matcha tiramasu sounds really good. I like using matcha in deserts. Bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, ONCE we get married. Confidence! Isn't it sexxxxxxxy?!!

    Girl, you're pretty good in the kitchen. Sounds like that's where you belong. Woman, go get me some tiramisu! LOL

    That dim sum place looks pretty good. At those prices, how can they make a profit? They must be driving their employees into the ground.

    Oh, your back-dated blog entries are conf00sing me :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really yum! Matcha in desserts is heavenly!

    ps.
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. t,
    Perfect for me. :)

    Kevin,
    I do too!

    Alex,
    You know what's really sexy? A man who cooks for me. ;)

    And you know where you belong with those kind of comments? In the doghouse! Those dim sum prices may be cheap but at least they're paying their employees. You just want me to cook for free!

    W&S,
    Thanks! Best wishes in the new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohya tiramimatcha, i likes. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm this is one of my favorite desserts! You're totally making me crave it! *runs off to TJs to buy some mascarpone*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy,
    You still got any of that matcha powder left?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!