Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, December 24, 2007

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea

Updated pictures and recipe from the archives on January 24, 2015:

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 4

While hanging out with one of my former students at Love to Go - San Gabriel, she mentioned wanting to learn how to cook. We were eying the tiramisu in the display case, when I said that it was easy to do and that I had been meaning to re-make my Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea for the blog.

Backtrack a little before our conversation when I was chatting online with my friend HH, who asked for ideas for a signature dessert for his friend's new coffee shop. I went through a slew of the latest trends in tea shops in the San Gabriel Valley and Koreatown, then scrolled through my dessert recipes and saw my sad old photo of my green tea tiramisu. I made a mental note to re-make it soon when my student's request and my oldest uncle's death anniversary seemed like the perfect opportunity to do so.

A little bit of previous commentary below, but otherwise, it's all new step-by-step pictures and a major revamp of the recipe.

After discovering how quick and easy it was to make Tiramisu, I decided to try making it with Japanese matcha green tea. The version I had at Italian Tomato - Costa Mesa was actually not that spectacular - not much green tea flavor and rather dry. And in looking at the photo again, I think my green tea tiramisu looks tastier! :) Lil' sis kept urging me not to do it because she remembered not being impressed with their green tea tiramisu either. But I promised her I'd make a normal one just in case. As it turned out, we ate all of the cake and regular tiramisu and there was just a small portion of this left. Two of my cousins had dibs on the leftovers.

I like my green tea bold in flavor, no subtlety here. The green tea is very bitter so I was worried about how it'd turn out, but the sweetness of the whipped cream evened it out. If you want to drink the leftover green tea, unless you have a sweetened version, I'd advise adding lots and lots of sugar.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 5

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea

For an 8-by-8-inch pan, you'll need:

1 1/2 cups Japanese matcha green tea, dissolve 2 tblsp matcha green tea powder in 1 1/2 cups hot water
1 package of ladyfingers
1 pint heavy whipping cream to make 1 to 1 1/2 cups Whipped Cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 8-oz container mascarpone cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
Japanese matcha green tea powder for dusting

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 6

Boil 1 1/2 cups water and add 2 tblsp green tea powder. Stir and set aside to cool.

Whip cream. A 1 pint container should give you enough whipped cream for this recipe. Or do what I did and buy 1 quart, and turn the remaining whipped cream into butter. Set aside.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 7

Beat the mascarpone cheese with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 8

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 9

Spoon about a third of the whipped cream into a bowl of the mascarpone mixture.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 10

Taste and add up to another third of the whipped cream. You might not need all of the whipped cream. I used all of it and that was a bit much; the whipped cream overpowered the taste of the mascarpone. Taste and stop at 2/3rds of the whipped cream mascarpone mixture if it's to your liking or use all of it if you wish.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 11

Now you're ready to start assembling.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 12

Using chopsticks, or your fingers, dip the ladyfingers into the green tea. I like my tiramisu very moist so I make sure all sides of the ladyfingers are covered.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 13

Lay the pieces until the bottom of the pan is covered. Dust green tea powder on top.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 14

Add a layer of the mascarpone whipped cream mixture.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 15

Add another layer of the tea-soaked lady fingers.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 16

Dust with matcha green tea powder on top.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 17

Then another layer of the mascarpone whipped cream and a final dusting of green tea powder.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 18

Here, you can see the layers of lady fingers and mascarpone whipped cream.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 19

Cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge at least an hour so the tiramisu can set before serving. I ended up leaving mine in the fridge for several days since I was making it for my oldest uncle's death anniversary.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 20

Plate and serve. I saved a bit for photographing later for the blog.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 21

And brought the bulk of the tiramisu for the luncheon. Where, to paraphrase, cousin Lee declared that it had the delicacy of green tea while retaining the essence of tiramisu, or something like that. My cousin's sister-in-law's husband scarfed down the piece his wife gave him in two bites and scraped the plate. With the tiramisu lost amongst all the other delicious offerings at the death anniversary luncheon, those were pretty high compliments indeed.

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 22

Now, let's look at that old photo that necessitated updating. That version was made with poundcake, but nonetheless, you have to admit the tiramisu with Japanese match green tea looks much better now!

Tiramisu with Japanese Matcha Green Tea 3

Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. oh i tried this. not sweet enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matcha tiramasu sounds really good. I like using matcha in deserts. Bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, ONCE we get married. Confidence! Isn't it sexxxxxxxy?!!

    Girl, you're pretty good in the kitchen. Sounds like that's where you belong. Woman, go get me some tiramisu! LOL

    That dim sum place looks pretty good. At those prices, how can they make a profit? They must be driving their employees into the ground.

    Oh, your back-dated blog entries are conf00sing me :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really yum! Matcha in desserts is heavenly!

    ps.
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. t,
    Perfect for me. :)

    Kevin,
    I do too!

    Alex,
    You know what's really sexy? A man who cooks for me. ;)

    And you know where you belong with those kind of comments? In the doghouse! Those dim sum prices may be cheap but at least they're paying their employees. You just want me to cook for free!

    W&S,
    Thanks! Best wishes in the new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohya tiramimatcha, i likes. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm this is one of my favorite desserts! You're totally making me crave it! *runs off to TJs to buy some mascarpone*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy,
    You still got any of that matcha powder left?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heaven! I make a cup of matcha green tea every morning. I am so making this fabulous desert. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you mind sharing which brand of matcha powder and tea you used for this recipe? 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nadege,
    That's a great way to start the day!

    Mylinh,
    I used Yamamotoyama! It's not instant tea, but whole green tea leaves that have been ground into powder. Very good quality and taste!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!