Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My Oldest Uncle's Christmas Party

Here are my oh so colorful Shanghai-style sticky rice siu mai dumplings again. I was making them to bring to my oldest uncle's Christmas party.


Hehe, I know I have readers who like seeing all the foods at my family get-togethers. Works for me. I get another post out of it, with minimal writing. ;)

Let's see, starting clockwise from the rice cooker with Hainanese chicken rice, my dumplings, roasted potatoes, salami and cheese appetizers, lotus root salad, tortillas and spinach dip with chesnuts (the younger '88's addition), dinner rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy.

From the far side, egg rolls, Hainanese chicken to go with the chicken rice, two kinds of soup (the chafing dish holds my favorite sup mang cua (Vietnamese crabmeat and asparagus soup), and pesto pasta with pinenuts.

Apple pie, apple tart, and fresh guavas from the garden.

Pork loin.

And roast beef.
Enjoy! I know I did. :)

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh the typical big Vietnamese family get-together. Woman, that meal makes me hungry. *drool*

    I think I can boil water to make you ramen noodles. Is that sexy enough for ya?

    When it comes to the kitchen, I'm just a poser. I bought a bunch of Williams Sonoma cookbooks and a set of All-Clad cookware but have not used them. =( Help?

    Seeing all the dishes you make, I don't think I even want to help clean up any more. Take outs, anyone??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,
    Boiling water for ramen is OK. Although you really don't need fancy cookware for boiling water. Gradually you can move up to boiling water for pasta and soup. :)

    But wait, are you withdrawing your offer of washing my dishes? *Gasp* *Sniffle* Are you withdrawing the proposal as well? :( Or are we compromising? I cook half the week, you order take-out or take me out the other half? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm! I love seeing the fruits of other people's labour! Your family gathering foods looks great - east meets west! hehe! Mashed potatoes and hainanese chicken rice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're beginning to sound rather demanding. Wife is supposed to stay in the kitchen. I may have to take some concubines =PPPPP

    ReplyDelete
  5. W&S,
    I love eating the foods of other people's labor. :P

    Alex!
    How could you? Not even married yet and you bring up concubines? Wedding is definitely off!

    Boohoo! And I was sooo looking forward to spending the rest of my life chained to the kitchen cooking for you. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!