Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions)

Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions) 1

Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions) is rather similar to Do Chua (Vietnamese Pickled Stuff ie. Carrots and Daikon). You can stuff it into sandwiches, mix it with salads, serve it on the side as edible garnish, or add it into a bowl of Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup).

Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions)

For 1 onion, you'll need:
1 onion, thinly sliced
About 1/2 cup rice or white vinegar
1 tsp white sugar

Cut the onion in half and slice as thin as possible. The thinner you slice it, the quicker it'll absorb the vinegar and soften.

Place the onion slices into a shallow bowl. Dissolve 1 tsp white sugar into about 1/2 cup rice or white vinegar. You need just enough vinegar to cover the onions.

Set aside for about 15 minutes, mixing the onion slices to make sure they all absorb the vinegar.

Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions) 2

Serve as an edible side dish or mixed into salads. If you have any hanh dam left over, you can add them into a jar, along with the vinegar, and top off with water. Store in the fridge.

Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions) 3

Enjoy!

Serve Hanh Dam with:
Bo Luc Lac (Vietnamese Shaking Beef)
Ga Ro Ti (Vietnamese Roasted Chicken)
Goi Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Salad)

*****
1 year ago today, I started Weekend Wokking!
2 years ago today, a smiley face on my Bimbimbap (Korean Mixed Rice).

9 comments:

  1. I don't really like raw onions, but I really love all things pickled. So, I think I might give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam,
    Raw onions are too harsh for me too. I love them pickled though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such delicious looking and sounding recipes. I want to ask what are the foods next to the pickled onions in this photo? I'd like to prepare them too. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pastamama,
    They're the recipes I've linked at the bottom of the post to serve with the vinegared onions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a meaningful difference between using the white wine vinegar or the rice wine vinegar? Or whichever is closest fine (I have both)? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abram Charles,
    I think rice wine vinegar is more flavorful and less harsh. Just whichever vinegar you prefer is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear WC,

    Can you please tell me how long I can keep this in the fridge?

    Thanks!!!

    Tigger Mum

    p/s: You're still my go to Vietnamese recipe "Go To" referrence teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tigger mum,
    You mean like you would a regular pickle? It could probably go for a week or so, but I usually only make enough for whatever I'm serving it with since it doesn't taste as fresh to me when it's more pickled. A few days at most if you want a fresher lightly pickled onion flavor.

    I love when you comment. You're one of my first readers. Definitely one of the longest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pickled onions. I usually soak them in water to lessen the strong taste of raw onion. Perfect for BBQs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!