Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Vietnamese French Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms

Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms 1

Last month during chillier weather, I was in the mood for a nice hearty stew. Hmm. I've already blogged Bo Kho (Vietnamese Beef Stew) and Boeuf Bourguignon (French Beef Burgundy), both with oxtails. Beef short ribs were half the price of oxtails, yet just as meaty and tasty.

Perhaps a little fusion was in order? Less wine + less spices = less laborious. Basically, I ended up with a French beef stew with less wine so it didn't overpower the Vietnamese spices. I think I just love any beef stew with a little wine and tomato paste really.

Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms 2

Vietnamese French Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms

For a 6-quart pot, you'll need:
2 lb of beef short ribs
4 slices bacon, diced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
6-oz can tomato paste
1 large onion, diced or 1 cup pearl onions
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
8 oz mushrooms, halved
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup red wine of your choice
1 tblsp Ca Ri Ni An Do (Vietnamese Indian Madras Curry Powder)
1 tblsp Nuoc Mam (Vietnamese Fish Sauce)

You'll need about 2 lb beef short ribs. Wash and set aside.

Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms 3

In a large pot on high heat, saute the diced bacon until most of the fat is rendered.

Sprinkle about 1/2 cup flour over the beef, making sure to coat each piece. Pan-fry the short ribs until each side is brown. You may have to do this in batches. I just move the beef to one side of the pot and stack them on top of each other. When the beef is all browned, add any remaining flour to the pot. It'll help thicken the stew.

Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms 4

Add 1 large diced onion, 2 diced carrots, 2 diced celery stalks, and 6 minced garlic cloves. Add 1 6-oz can tomato paste and 1 tblsp Vietnamese curry powder. Then add 1 cup of red wine, depending on preference. Then fill your pot about 3/4 full with water. Add 2 tsp salt and 1 tblsp fish sauce.

When the water boils, turn the heat down to medium and let simmer for an hour.

Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms 5

Add the mushrooms after the stew has been simmering for an hour. Taste and add salt or fish sauce if necessary. Turn the heat down to medium-low and let it simmer for another hour.

Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms 6

Serve with French bread or mashed potatoes or rice.

Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms 7

Enjoy!

Who made my fusion Vietnamese-French Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms?
Christine of Kits Chow said, "I think it is WC's use of the curry paste and fish sauce that imparts that wonderful flavour to the sauce. The sauce doesn't taste of curry or fish sauce but all blends together to form a rich, delicious taste. The word "umami" can be applied to this dish!"

Other beef stew recipes:
Bo Kho (Vietnamese Beef Stew)
Boeuf Bourguignon (French Beef Burgundy)
Osso Bucco (Italian Braised Beef Shanks)

*****
1 year ago today, Ga Hap (Vietnamese Steamed Chicken).
2 years ago today, a video and my not-so-pretty but oh-so-yummy Spam Musubi.

7 comments:

  1. A meal fit for a king. Short ribs are a favorite of ours and I love the elements of fusion you use here. It goes on the list :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Thanks. I love short ribs too, but usually eat kalbi during Korean BBQ. Discovering them braised for stew is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum yum yum. I have never made stew before but it is definitely on my to do list. I love the combi of Vietnamese curry powder with red wine in this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fantastic! I love recipes for stews and braised dishes because it's great for company. Let the food simmer while I tidy up the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wiffy,
    Never made stew? I love stews. So yummy on cold days.

    Christine,
    Lazy cooking for sure. The only hard part is keeping my stomach in check while waiting for it to finish cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this and it's so freaken delicious. I added like 1/4 tsp of Ghost pepper sauce and it gave the stew a nice little kick. Love it. The meat fell off of the bone and it was so tender. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!