Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom's Razor Clam Sushi, Lovingly Packed To-Go

Mom's Razor Clam Sushi 1

Aren't they beautiful?

My brother was in Portland recently. That weekend, he went with our parents to the coast where they dug up razor clams. My mom froze some for me. I'm waiting until lil' sis comes home again before cooking them.

With the rest, she made razor clam sushi and packed it up for my brother to eat on the flight down. I had made braised short ribs with mashed potatoes for dinner, so my brother decided to save the sushi for lunch the next day.

I opened the box to take some for myself and saw how lovingly my mom had packed everything.



Notice the attention to detail. If you remember in my orange and fennel salad recipe, my mom scored the sides of the orange to make it easier for my dad to peel on the plane. Well, for my brother, mom packed little baggies of wasabi and soy sauce, chopsticks, and nestled inside the folded napkin was a toothpick.


Mom's Razor Clam Sushi 2

That's my momma! She digs her own clams, makes them into sushi, and lovingly wraps them to-go.

Happy Mother's Day!

*****
1 year ago today, nuoc mam gung (Vietnamese ginger fish sauce).
2 years ago today, tapas at Cobras and Matadors in Los Angeles (Los Feliz). (Closed)

8 comments:

  1. I like the circles you travel in :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, i always wanted to go hunting for razor clams and even had my own tube but never got to use it!! you should have a post on how to dig up razor clams vs. shovel...ah...like the new in line comment form!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, how nice of your mom! So much care put into the packaging and the making of the sushi rolls! I've never dug up clams before and I think it would be a great experience to do it someday :). I wonder how this tasted like...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,
    I do too. :)

    RC,
    A tube would crush the clams, so a shovel is better. But you have to be a little more careful digging b/c you can just as easily smash the shells that way too.

    ETE,
    My momma's the best. She always takes such care when feeding us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your mum is so thoughtful and sweet. The sushi looks so well made. Now I know where you inherit your cooking talent from ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noob Cook,
    The sushi was excellent. My mom is way more talented than this though. Homemade noodles. Deboned and stuffed Cornish game hens. She makes lots of yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and this brings back memories. And your mother packing everything with such care and love....you are lucky. That is what food should be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SheShe,
    Moms are the best for showing care and love through food!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!