Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Bibimbap (Korean Mixed Rice)

Cute huh? :)

Bibimbap (Korean mixed rice) is simply a bowl of rice served with a meat and various vegetables. A variation is dolsot (stone pot) bibimbap, where the stone pot creates a crispy crust to the rice and a raw egg is cracked and gets cooked as everything is mixed together. I didn't have a stone pot but I have these lovely large Japanese earthenware bowls and with the bulgogi I made the other day, bibimbap seemed like an obvious choice. Substitute with any other kind of meat you like, or omit entirely for a vegetarian version.

You can use any type of vegetables but frequently I see this served with spinach, mushrooms, bean sprouts, and carrots. You'll want colorful vegetables to make this as pretty as possible. I have going clockwise from the bulgogi, kimchee, collard greens, carrots, jicama, topped with a sunny-side up egg and strips of nori seaweed.

Bibimbap (Korean Mixed Rice)

You'll need:
Bulgogi (Korean barbecued beef)
Any variety of vegetables you wish including mushrooms, bean sprouts, spinach, carrots, etc.
1 egg, sunny-side up

Optional for topping: Strips of nori seaweed, chili paste or hot sauce.

Julienne or slice thinly whatever vegetables you have on hand. Saute the vegetables.

Then to serve, put rice on the bottom of a large bowl, in sections add your vegetables, put a sunny-side up egg on top, cut strips of nori seaweed on top of that. Then draw a nice happy face with hot sauce.

A happy and pretty presentation!

To eat, you'll have to mess up that lovely face by stirring everything together so that it's like fried rice.


Yum! Lil' sis thought this was the cutest dinner!

Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I quite like this dish and always order from Korean restaurants...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had that but it looks really tasty and colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, I love bibimbap. I normally use a pyrex dish and crack a raw egg in and mix it all together:D I think it's dolsot bibimbap isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. Anything with a sunny-side up egg in it is delicious. I guess depending on your mood, you can also make an angry face with the hot sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delish! I love this meal so much! I love when everything gets coated with the runny egg yolk. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bibimbap I've tried in korean restaurants never ever left any impression on me - I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RM,
    I like all the veggies in this dish.

    W&S,
    It's very easy to make.

    Hedgehog,
    Dolsot means stone pot, so dolsot bibimbap is just bibimbap put in a stone pot. :)

    Marvin,
    You don't have to make a face at all. Especially if you're angry. I'd imagine you could come up with worse ways to make the other person know how angry you are, like really, really hot sauce. ;)

    Amy,
    It's a firm favorite for me too!

    Tigerfish,
    Pbbly b/c it's really just a different way of serving fried rice? I've never been wowed by fried rice myself? :)

    BC,
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cute indeed. i love korean food. :D i just added a post too. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops, I thought I left a comment on this earlier! I just wanted to say that I love how vivid and visually attractive you made this dish. The colors help me to imagine how delicious it would taste. I also like how the tufts of nori flakes are covering the bibimbap man's face! Bibimbap man is a "looker!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. PE,
    Thanks. I don't have a fancy camera and don't cook only when there's good lighting. So sometimes my results don't always photograph as nicely as they look in person. But this dish was just so naturally colorful. Why is bibimbap face a man? I guess if you want it really spicy, you can make "hair" out of the chili and make a bibimbap woman. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!