Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, May 04, 2007

Mango Salsa

Mango Salsa 1

Here's another favorite dip recipe of mine in case you're throwing a Cinco de Mayo party. Mango salsa!

I love mangoes. I bought a whole case of them. Two dozen of this smaller variety for $8.99 at the Asian grocery store. I prefer these smaller ones for making mango salsa because they're not fibrous. I used a dozen mangoes and made a huge bowl of mango salsa at last year's Memorial Day barbecue and it all disappeared. But if you don't plan on entertaining several dozen of your family members like I did, you can just make a small amount.


 Mango Salsa

You'll need:
2 to 3 mangoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (Gnaw what's left around the seed so no mango goes to waste! ;) )
2 to 3 small tomatoes, chopped
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/2 lemon or 1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste

Optional: add chopped jalapenos or cilantro

Add all ingredients to bowl and mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust salt or lemon juice accordingly. If it doesn't taste quite right yet, you can cut up another mango or tomato.

Let chill in fridge for at least half an hour so the flavors can mingle before serving. It should keep in the fridge for about a week.

Mango Salsa 2

Incidentally, does anyone else prefer Tostito's brand chips for salsa? I find the restaurant-style the perfect size and lightness so that it complements and doesn't overwhelm homemade salsa.

You can also make a variation of this with mangoes and pineapples, which goes well with grilled fish. Happy eating!

P.S. So right after I posted this recipe, I was "visiting" some of my blogging friends and what do I see? Tigerfish of Teczcape posted her mango salsa with halibut recipe. Ever since I started blogging, seeing photos of food has surely influenced my cravings. But the thing with me and Tigerfish is that we always seem to eat or cook the same foods or same ingredients at almost the same time. Freaky eh? And I'm not talking once or twice, but almost every week this happens. Jinx!

Who made my recipe for mango salsa?
Sis of Rain Down on Me said, "I couldn't bear to let it meld for more than about a half hour in the refrigerator because I am not very patient when it comes to food, then Daughter Dear and I completely pigged out on it. People - it is GOOD."

9 comments:

  1. Oh yes, and we both swear (hate to use this word) that there is no conspiracy between us. We have not even seen each other in person as blogging friends :O
    And from "in-sync" to "spooky" to "freaky", we have run out of words to use, eh?
    Our taste buds have "antenna" that synchronizes! Our tongues have "magnetic charges" that attract! Well, I'm trying to use "science" to explain everything now, else...only have to use the word "jinx" like you, and this is another word(other than sweat) that I hate to use ;p

    P.S while doing one of my upcoming posts, something spooky also happened that relates to you...but I'll keep it as a suspense till I post it ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not part of the Wandering -Tigerfish scientific link. I ate chicken pie today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to stick my mangos in the fridge to chill, then peel, cube and eat. It's so gooood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tigerfish,
    How long are you gonna keep me in suspense?

    Yich,
    Haha! What happened to tofu and veggies for the baby?

    CP,
    What do you think happened to the rest of that case of mangoes? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. tostitos chips are pretty good...but SUPER A chips are my all time fave for eating with salsa. you've got to get those instead now that you're so close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tania,
    I didn't like your Super A chips. Too thick.

    W&S,
    No. Didn't have any on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, love mango salsa. I add corn, black beans, and a little balsamic vinegar to mine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!