Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Oc Buou Luoc Xa voi Nuoc Mam Gung (Vietnamese Apple Snails Boiled with Lemongrass with Ginger Fish Sauce)

So for my great-grandfather's death anniversary dinner, my contribution was Oc Buou Luoc Xa Voi Mam Gung (Apple Snails Boiled with Lemongrass and Served with Ginger Fish Sauce).

Oc Buou Luoc Xa Voi Nuoc Mam Gung (Apple Snails Boiled with Lemongrass and Served with Ginger Fish Sauce) 1


Oc Buou Luoc Xa voi Mam Gung (Vietnamese Apple Snails Boiled with Lemongrass with Ginger Fish Sauce) 

You'll need:
2 lbs of oc buou (Vietnamese apple snails)
a few stalks of lemon grass, cut into 3-inch sticks and bruised to release the fragrance

For dipping: Mam Gung (Vietnamese Ginger Fish Sauce)

Rinse snails so they're clean.

Then add snails and lemongrass to a 5-quart pot and fill the water until the snails are covered. Bring water to a boil, and then turn heat down to medium low and let simmer for about 15 minutes. The snails should cook pretty quickly.

You can test for doneness by eating one and deciding whether it needs to simmer longer.

When the snails are cooked, drain into a colander.

Serve with Nuoc Mam Gung (Vietnamese Ginger Fish Sauce).

To serve the snails, it's nice to have some kind of pick and a little saucer of ginger fish sauce. If you don't have any specific picks, toothpicks or bamboo skewers work just fine.

Like my dragon fruit picks? They're a souvenir from Vietnam. The fish-shaped dipping saucer is from Target. :)

Oc Buou Luoc Xa voi Nuoc Mam Gung (Vietnamese Apple Snails Boiled with Lemongrass with Ginger Fish Sauce) 2

These snails are huge!

Oc Buou Luoc Xa voi Nuoc Mam Gung (Vietnamese Apple Snails Boiled with Lemongrass with Ginger Fish Sauce) 3

You don't want to eat that hard outer shell though. So pick it out and discard it.

Oc Buou Luoc Xa voi Nuoc Mam Gung (Vietnamese Apple Snails Boiled with Lemongrass with Ginger Fish Sauce) 4

Then dip the snail into the ginger fish sauce.

Oc Buou Luoc Xa voi Nuoc Mam Gung (Vietnamese Apple Snails Boiled with Lemongrass with Ginger Fish Sauce) 5

Like my other fruit picks? Can you guess what the green one is? :)

Oc Buou Luoc Xa voi Nuoc Mam Gung (Vietnamese Apple Snails Boiled with Lemongrass with Ginger Fish Sauce) 6

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. i usually eat my snails plain because they already have a sweet taste to it.

    last time i ate some was when im pregnant and they was much smaller and my dad didnt let me have any and i would sneak and eat it but he caught me and gave me a dirty look. he was afraid mel would come out a drool monster and she already is like that haha

    t

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's scary to me! Where did you get them?

    Green pickers - custard apples?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, WC, I'm also wondering where to get apple snails? From an apple tree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG those fruit picks are the cutest things I have ever seen! I want some! AH I can't get over how cute those are! :D!!! I'm with Tigerfish about the green ones, are they custard apples? The seeds kinda makes them look like faces. lol :P

    I love snails, my uncle stir fries them with soy sauce, white pepper, and ginger. I've actually never had snails in the States though, only when I go back to Shanghai.

    ReplyDelete
  5. t,
    I love the ginger dipping sauce so I always dip. :)

    Tigerfish,
    Scary, how so? I got them from the VNese grocery store. 2 lbs for $1.99.

    Yup, custard apples. Good guess.

    Marvin,
    Wouldn't that be scary if it were so? I got mine at A Chau grocery store in Fountain Valley.

    Amy,
    Haha. They do look like little faces now that you pointed it out. I bought my mom durian, pomegranate, and cherimoya ones. Yup, they had both kinds of the custard apples. I regretted not getting the lychee ones now. They were only $1 for the set!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!