Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

L & L Hawaiian Barbecue - La Verne

Since we were on the subject of Hawaiian cuisine... We were? Have you forgotten my Spam musubi already?

There's the fancy seafood Asian fusion food you'll find at places like Roy's. And then there's the everyman's Hawaiian plate lunch.

Most Hawaiian plate lunch places will include a couple of scoops of rice, a scoop of macaroni salad, and your choice of various meats. Those other choices are a reflection of the many immigrants who came and contributed to Hawaii's culture.

Every once in a while when I don't feel like cooking, and when there's a coupon in the mail, I go to L & L Hawaiian Barbecue in La Verne.

Here's a much more neatly wrapped Spam musubi so you can see what it would look like when it's not made one-handed. :P They're $1.59 each, and 99 cents on Mondays and Fridays. The Portuguese sausage musubi is $1.79.

Most plate lunches cost about $6 to $7. My brother always gets the Atkins plate which includes one Korean kalbi short rib, barbecued beef, teriyaki chicken, and two fried eggs, on a bed of cabbage.

I get the same barbecue mixed plate but opt for the non-Atkins version, so I get two scoops of rice and one scoop of macaroni salad. Lately though, the barbecued beef has been overcooked and burnt and the short rib is hit or miss in terms of toughness.

The regular-sized plate is very filling though so I usually get this to share.

You can also get a mini-plate, which includes one scoop of rice and one scoop of macaroni salad. This is the chicken katsu, a generally tender piece of chicken that has been breaded and fried, served with dipping sauce.

Other dishes I've tried at this location include the loco moco - a pre-formed frozen hamburger patty topped with gravy and eggs. It's OK, just don't expect fresh ground beef. The lau lau, pulled pork that's cooked in taro leaves, is good but the portion is pretty small. And the seafood plate of mahi mahi and shrimp is breaded and deep-fried and much too dry for my taste. The kimchee is pretty bland and not spicy, more like pickled cabbage.

I also noticed they sell malasadas, Portuguese doughnuts, 10 for $3.99, in case you're interested in dessert.

Anyway, so if you want a quick and filling alternative to the usual fast food, a Hawaiian plate lunch isn't a bad way to go.

L & L Hawaiian Barbecue (various locations)
2400-A Foothill Blvd.
La Verne, CA 91750
909-392-6938

13 comments:

  1. tried this joint in hawaii and didnt like it much. hawaiian food doesnt do it for me.

    t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear One-Hand Chopsticks,
    I made some-other-Chinese-brand-luncheon- meat Musubi the other day and *ahem* it looked like the ones you showed this picture. I used the seasoning qty you recommended for the Japanese rice and it was just nice. Thanks for that!

    Regards
    Two-Hand Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some Hawaiian-based cuisine I see around here but never had the urge to try it. After reading your post, maybe I could give it a shot ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you are my hero! I just wrote an entire tribute to Spam! Plus, I used to live in La Verne on Foothill blvd - went to elemtary school there. I don't remember that restaurant being there though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. t,
    Yeah, the quality isn't the best. I like the plate lunches at Da Kitchen better. But it's not too bad, and it was close to my house.

    Yich,
    Sure your two-handed non-Spam musubi looks prettier, but was it tastier? And how do I know yours looked nicer? I'll need proof! What did hubby think of it?

    Tigerfish,
    Aren't you up for trying new things? :)

    Jaden,
    Small world, especially since La Verne is tiny. You'd be surprised at what it has now, and maybe what it still doesn't have ie. decent Asian restaurants. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spam musubi is real and not just a Wandering Chopsticks creation! Wow! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. W&S,
    Oh yes, those Hawaiians, they do love their Spam. There's a whole Spam festival and stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh... do I smell a challenge? :D No pictures la.. it was a quick meal. Hubby thot is was a-ok. We bought similar stuff from a Japanese supermarket before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe yup i ate at l&l in hawaii the first time i went four years ago. now they are everywhere! :) wow they sell the donuts. those are delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. BC,
    I only noticed Hawaiian BBQ places popping up everywhere in the last few years too. Wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to LOVE L&L's but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. The plate lunch is a simple concept, but it doesn't mean it's not made with care...something that these chain Hawaiian BBQ joints outside of Hawaii lack. They all just don't compare to the plate lunches of the mom and pop places in Hawaii. If you're ever in Kauai, head to Pono Market in Kapaa. The lau lau is hearty and moist and the fried chicken is the bomb! They also have sides of lomi lomi salmon (kinda like pico de gallo, but with bits of salmon, poi (an aquired taste), mac salad and many other sides.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hazel,
    The closest one to me now is Ono, which is alright when I want a plate lunch fix. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to keep it in mind if I'm ever in Kauai. I've eaten at some place in Maui, but can't recall the name of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!