Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, May 28, 2007

Ga Nuong Xa (Vietnamese Grilled Chicken with Lemongrass)

Ga Nuong Xa (Vietnamese Grilled Chicken with Lemongrass) 1

As I mentioned in my previous post about our Memorial Day barbecue, my brother made grilled chicken with lemongrass per my instructions. Hehe, so technically it's my recipe right? :) Lemongrass, also known as citronella grass (yes, the same as the mosquito repellant), imparts a lemony fragrance. It's perfect for barbecues as the aroma gets released on the grill. You can find stalks of lemongrass in most Asian grocery stores. I get mine free from my youngest uncle. :)

Ga Nuong Xa (Vietnamese Grilled Chicken with Lemongrass) 2

Ga Nuong Xa (Vietnamese Grilled Chicken with Lemongrass) 

You'll need:
3-lbs chicken drumsticks, or whichever part of the chicken you like
2 stalks lemongrass, finely minced
4 cloves of garlic
2-inch knob of ginger
1 tblsp Nuoc Mam (Vietnamese Fish Sauce), or to taste
1 tblsp brown sugar, or to taste
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste

Grind lemongrass, garlic, and ginger in a food processor until finely minced.

Add the fish sauce, salt, ground black pepper, and brown sugar. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Add chicken and mix with marinade thoroughly. Allow to chill in fridge for about an hour.

Grill.

Ga Nuong Xa (Vietnamese Grilled Chicken with Lemongrass) 3

Serve with rice and sliced cucumbers or pickled carrots.

Enjoy!

Other chicken recipes you might like:
Baked Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic, Lemon, and Rosemary
Baked Chicken with Citrus Marinade
Baked Chicken with Salt, Pepper, and Lemon
Cuban Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken
Fessenjan (Persian Walnut Pomegranate Cornish Game Hen) with Dill Rice
Ga Ro Ti (Vietnamese Roasted Chicken)
Ga Ro Ti Xa (Vietnamese Roasted Lemongrass Chicken)
Peruvian Roast Chicken
Sriracha Buffalo Wings

11 comments:

  1. Were the lemongrass, garlic, and ginger finely minced until paste like? Cos I cannot see any small pieces of the above on your chicken. Or were they scrapped off after marinating the chicken and before the grilling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really healthy! Perfect for my diet...only...where do I find lemongrass in Frankfurt!?
    I really need to find a decent Asian grocery store here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yich,
    It was all ground in the food processor to as finely minced as possible. You can see the pieces if you look really closely. But also, a lot of it was stuck to the grill. :P

    W&S,
    Haha! I'm the last person you should ask about finding Asian grocery stores in Frankfurt. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe is familiar to me. sometimes, when I'm feeling really naughty, I fry the chicken. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. CP,
    But when you fry it, don't the lemongrass bits all fall off? That's the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. is it the same marinade for pork?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ralphs,
    You can use the same marinade for pork if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you bake it? I live in an apartment and am not allowed to have a grill.. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snailsonnails,
    Yup! Just refer to my ga ro ti xa recipe for the cooking and baking instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemongrass is a totally different plant than Citronella. Citronella is more like a Geranium type, whereas lemongrass is like a grass. You definitely do not want to eat citronella.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tung,
    The geranium-type plant you're referring to is commonly called citronella plant or pelargonium citrosum, which isn't edible nor is it a mosquito repellant. Lemongrass, which is also commonly called citronella grass or cymbopogon, is edible and a mosquito repellant. Both have citronella in their common names, but are very different types of plants. But thanks for pointing it out, I will amend the post to add citronella "grass" to prevent any confusion.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!