Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Goi Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Salad)

Updated from the archives August 14, 2009:

Goi Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Salad) 1

This is a good way to use up leftover chicken. In my case, I had tons of chicken from making Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup) last week. My family likes to eat this salad warm, often using some of the chicken when we make Hainanese chicken rice. It's a pretty simple salad, with just a little bit of rau ram (Vietnamese coriander) and Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions) to round out the flavors.

Goi Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Salad)

For about four servings, you'll need:

About 2 cups shredded chicken, boiled, steamed, or roasted
About 1 cup rau ram (Vietnamese coriander), roughly chopped, or cilantro if you can't find it, or any other herb of your choice
Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions)

Dressing:
Nuoc Mam Cham (Vietnamese Fish Dipping Sauce)

Optional:
Ground black pepper

Prepare vinegared onions and set aside.

Boil and shred chicken. Set aside.

Pluck and clean herbs. Roughly chop and set aside.

Prepare the Nuoc Mam Cham (Vietnamese Fish Dipping Sauce) by adding a few cloves of garlic, chili peppers, and a spoonful of sugar into a mortar. Mash into a paste. Then add fish sauce to taste.

Combine all ingredients into a bowl -- the shredded chicken, herbs, vinegared onions, and dressing. Toss until all ingredients have combined evenly. Adjust vinegar, fish sauce, or sugar as needed. Add ground black pepper if you wish.

Allow the salad to sit for about 15 minutes so the flavors can meld, but this Vietnamese chicken salad is best eaten while still warm. Salad may also be refrigerated for several hours before serving.

In my family, we like to eat this warm, after the chicken is freshly cooked so obviously no refrigeration.

When ready to serve, scoop salad out so that the excess juices may drain. You can eat this plain or serve with a side of rice or scoop up with shrimp chips.

Alternatively, if you want more greens, you can make Goi Ga Bap Cai (Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad).

So why the update from my earlier recipe? Well, I think my directions are better, more clearer. And also, eek! Look at the original photo. Not nearly as appetizing, eh?

Goi Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Salad) 2

Enjoy!

Other Vietnamese salads you might like:
Goi Buoi Tom (Vietnamese Pomelo Salad with Shrimp)
Goi Cu Sen Non Tom Thit (Vietnamese Young Lotus Root Salad with Shrimp and Pork)
Goi Cuon (Vietnamese Salad/Spring/Summer Rolls)
Goi Du Du Kho Bo (Vietnamese Papaya Salad with Beef Jerky)
Goi Ga Bap Cai (Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad)
Goi Mit Non Tom Thit Heo (Vietnamese Green Jackfruit Salad with Pork and Shrimp)
Goi Xoai Xanh (Vietnamese Green Mango Salad)
Xa Lach Thit Bo (Vietnamese Steak Salad)
Xa Lach Thit Bo Rau Muong (Vietnamese Steak and Water Spinach Salad)

7 comments:

  1. I made this recipe tonight, with cabbage and a bunch of mint - it was delicious. Thanks a lot!

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh! another winner from WC! I made this the other day and it was delicious. Used cabbage, mint and cilantro. Check it out:
    http://mke2lax.blogspot.com/2009/07/salad-days.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryRuth,
    Looks great! I've been meaning to update this recipe with the chicken and cabbage version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi WC! Thanks for the recipe ... can't wait to try this ... btw, I love your Pho Gai ... been making it a couple of times now ... still can't find any good Vietnamese Restaurants here. Prefer to make my own, especially with your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait... you made pho ga? I thought you didn't like pho ga ;-) I love goi in just about any combination and yours (old photo and new photo) look delish. I think it must be the rau ram (that I can't seem to grow for anything).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tigger Mum,
    You've been making my pho ga all this time and haven't told me? You've been there for years and you still haven't found a good VNese restaurant?

    Nik,
    I don't, but I still made it for the blog. ;) I don't understand why you can't grow rau ram. It's so easy. Surely if you can do roses, you can do rau ram!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!