Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, August 07, 2009

Goi Ga Bap Cai (Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad)

Since I was updating my Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup) and Goi Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Salad) recipes, it was super-simple to turn the salad into Goi Ga Bap Cai (Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad).

Goi Ga Bap Cai (Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad) 1

Goi Ga Bap Cai (Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad)

For about four servings, you'll need:
About 2 cups shredded chicken, boiled, steamed, or roasted
About 1 cup rau ram (Vietnamese coriander), roughly chopped, or cilantro if you can't find it, or any other herb of your choice
1 carrot, julienned
1/2 or whole head of cabbage, thinly sliced
Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions)

Dressing:
Nuoc Mam Cham (Vietnamese Fish Dipping Sauce)

Optional: Top with roasted crushed peanuts or Hanh Phi (Vietnamese Fried Shallots).

Prepare Hanh Dam (Vietnamese Vinegared Onions) and set aside. I like to use red onions for the color.

Goi Ga Bap Cai (Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad) 2

Slice cabbage into thin strips. Set aside.

Goi Ga Bap Cai (Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad) 3

Julienne carrots. Set aside.

Shred chicken. Set aside.

Pluck and clean herbs. Roughly chop and set aside.

Prepare the Nuoc Mam Cham (Vietnamese Fish Dipping Sauce) by adding a few cloves of garlic, chili peppers, and a spoonful of sugar into a mortar. Mash into a paste. Then add fish sauce to taste.

Combine all ingredients into a bowl -- the cabbage, carrots, shredded chicken, herbs, vinegared onions, and dressing. Toss until all ingredients have combined evenly. Adjust vinegar, fish sauce, or sugar as needed.

Allow the salad to sit for at least half an hour so the flavors can meld. Salad may also be refrigerated for several hours before serving.

When ready to serve, sprinkle roasted crushed peanuts and/or Hanh Phi (Vietnamese Fried Shallots) on top if you wish.

But really, if you've got people waiting, just add a little more fish sauce to make the dressing stronger and serve immediately.

Goi Ga Bap Cai (Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad) 4
Photo courtesy of WeezerMonkey.

The version above, I forgot the carrots. Or rather, I had guests waiting and julienning carrots would have taken a bit more time than I wanted.

The lovely part of blogging is that with the new friends I've made, there's always someone to eat extra. So I gladly exchanged some of my goi ga bap cai for Tony of SinoSoul's homemade cantaloupe sorbet. I'm not a big cantaloupe fan but this sorbet was better than eating the fruit. And if that doesn't get you to check out his blog, his recipe for no-cook Vietnamese coffee ice cream should.

Thanks Tony for the sorbet and thanks WeezerMonkey for beautifully photographing my food!

SinoSoul's Cantaloupe Sorbet

Enjoy!

Who made my recipe for Goi Ga Bap Cai (Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad)?
Actually, MaryRuth of Where's the Bubbler? adapted my previous goi ga recipe where I said to add cabbage. So I'll just file this one into the appropriate post.

Some other Vietnamese salads:
Goi Bap Cai Chay (Vietnamese Vegetarian Cabbage Salad)
Goi Buoi Tom (Vietnamese Pomelo Salad with Shrimp)
Goi Cu Sen Non Tom Thit (Vietnamese Young Lotus Root Salad with Shrimp and Pork)
Goi Cuon (Vietnamese Salad/Spring/Summer Rolls)
Goi Du Du Kho Bo (Vietnamese Papaya Salad with Beef Jerky)
Goi Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Salad)
Goi Mit Non Tom Thit Heo (Vietnamese Green Jackfruit Salad with Pork and Shrimp)
Goi Xoai Xanh (Vietnamese Green Mango Salad)
Xa Lach Thit Bo (Vietnamese Steak Salad)
Xa Lach Thit Bo Rau Muong (Vietnamese Steak and Water Spinach Salad)

*****
1 year ago today, a reader makes my bo luc lac (Vietnamese shaking beef) recipe.
2 years ago today, Canh Chua Ca (Vietnamese Sour Fish Soup).

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your great home-cooked food with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might try this with some of my leftover chicken. I don't have any cabbage, but I've got some lettuce that I can shred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful, radiant looking salad. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi wc! i just had this dish yesterday at a place called pho 888 (haven't posted it yet)...and i loved it. i'm glad i saw your recipe because now i want to make it at home. it's a great summer dish because it's so fresh and light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Just came by to say I really enjoy your blog. From your "how to start a food blog" I was inspired to start my own. I'm still not really familiar with blogspot but I'm getting the hang of it.

    Thanks for all the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing! i noticed u put more time into your pics now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although this is such a simple recipe, it's simply delicious. I love ordering this whenever we eat vietnamese food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weezer Monkey,
    Thank you for taking such nice pictures for me! :)

    Pam,
    A cold lettuce and chicken salad would work great too.

    Wiffy,
    Thanks!

    CC,
    Exactly! That's why I've made it several times this summer. Can't get enough of crisp cabbage and tart pickles.

    Vietnamese Summer,
    Thanks. Glad you found the series useful. Blogger's pretty user-friendly.

    Jeannie,
    Too much time. *Sigh.*

    Jo,
    Sometimes, simple is best. It doesn't all have to be elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy salad! Thanks for the recipe I used my pickled daikon/carrots (also your recipe) in the salad and it was quite good. I used left over soy sauce chicken that I made. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. La Takahashi,
    Nice! Thanks as always for trying so many of my recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So you can leave the fish sauce out? How does that taste? I love it just the way you make it but my mom is way to timid to try it with the fish sauce. Is there something I can use instead?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stacy,
    I wouldn't since the fish sauce is what gives the dressing flavor. You could use less fish sauce and see if your mom likes it. Or soy sauce if you want, but it's a different flavor profile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WC,

    Just made this and OMG... SO SO SO GOOD!

    I'm a cabbage lover and wanted to get into pickling stuff - this was perfect!

    I used half red/half white cabbage and included half a pound of shredded carrots (because I had them and didn't have the patience for knife practice). I'm considering throwing chopped walnuts or peanuts onto the leftovers. Next time I might thinly slice some kale too.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clstal,
    Haha. I love effusive feedback. So glad you liked it. Toast the peanuts first and chop them before adding them to the salad and it'll be a very standard Vietnamese addition.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!