Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, April 02, 2010

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs)

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs) 1

One of the ways in which my cooking differs from my mother's is in how much I love garlic. The more the merrier I say. Baked Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic, Lemon, and Rosemary? Braised Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic? If I wasn't so set on that magic number of 40, which equivocates to about three heads of garlic, I'd go for a even 50.

So when Christine of Kits Chow, host of last month's onion round-up of Weekend Wokking, announced GARLIC as this month's secret ingredient challenge, I wanted to make something in which garlic wasn't just an ingredient, but a starring role.

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs) takes me back to my college days when fresh fruits and vegetables weren't available within walking distance. Luckily, eggs and garlic lasted much longer. On days when I didn't feel like hopping on the train or felt particularly poor, this dish was always satisfying.

When my brother stopped by to pick up some of the Ga Ro Ti Xa (Vietnamese Roasted Lemongrass Chicken) that I made for him, I mentioned that there was garlic fried rice too. There is? And he eagerly scooped up some to bring back home too. The secret ingredient to boost flavor from this fried rice? A few dashes of Maggi Seasoning Sauce at the end.

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs) 2

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs)

For 2 to 4 servings, you'll need:
2 cups day-old rice
3 eggs, using my Scrambled Egg Omelet in a Wok, including the tsp of Nuoc Mam (Vietnamese Fish Sauce) called for in the recipe
1 tsp sesame oil
6 cloves, finely minced garlic
2 tsp Maggi Seasoning Sauce

Rice, garlic, eggs. That's all you need. Make the scrambled egg omelet first and then set aside.

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs) 3

In a pan on medium-high heat, add a generous drizzle of sesame oil and add in the finely minced garlic.

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs) 4

When the garlic starts to soften, add in the rice. Break up the rice and make sure everything is thoroughly mixed.

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs) 5

Add the eggs back in and about a tsp or 2 of Maggi Seasoning Sauce.

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs) 6

Lightly break up the scrambled eggs so they're mixed with the rice.

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs) 7

That's it!

Sometimes this is my whole meal.

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs) 8

But on this day, I served it with my Vietnamese Lemongrass Roast Chicken.

Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs) 9

Enjoy!

I do love my fried rice. Some other fried rice dishes:
Fried Rice with Apples and Cubed Beef
Fried Rice with Bacon, Corn, Eggs, and Green Onions
Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce
Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Mixed Frozen Vegetables, and Eggs
Fried Rice with Hot Dogs, Eggs, and Ketchup
Fried Rice with Kimchee and Spam
Fried Rice with Pineapples, Spam, and Shrimp
Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth
Fried Rice Yang Chow-Style

I'm submitting this recipe to Weekend Wokking, a world-wide food blogging event created by Wandering Chopsticks to celebrate the multiple ways we can cook one ingredient.

This month's secret ingredient is GARLIC. The host is Sijeleng of Javaholic. Check his blog for the garlic round-up.

*****
1 year ago today, a ticklish mimosa tree and a suggestive coconut seed at The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens (Spring) - San Marino.
2 years ago today, Meyer Lemon Shortbread Squares.
3 years ago today, homemade Potstickers with Ground Pork and Turkey, Bamboo Shoots, and Cabbage.

7 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Rice, garlic, and egg - the three things I love all in one bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl after my own heart. ;)

    Oh, Maggi is great even on plain rice! That could also be a meal in desperate times as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmmmm. 6 cloves of garlic is pretty hardcore. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick,
    You love everything!

    TS,
    That's an even lazier recipe!

    DD,
    Nah, 6 is nothing. I might have added more and only toned it down for the recipe. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my go-to meal when I'm in a hurry. Always good. Always satisfying. Sometimes I do a sunny-side-up egg because I love yolky goodness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eggs, rice and garlic. This is the perfect combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nikki,
    This is so easy as a go-to meal. I almost always have rice, garlic, and eggs on hand.

    Christine,
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!