Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Mixed Frozen Vegetables, and Eggs

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Frozen Mixed Vegetables, and Eggs 1

I think this is the prettiest batch of fried rice I've ever made! It's tasty too! Lil' sis ate the rest of the entire batch.

 Fried rice is so quick and simple. As long as you have some leftover rice, some kind of meat (or not if you're vegetarian), a bag of frozen or canned vegetables, and a few eggs, you're set. My mixed veggies included carrots, corn, peas, green beans, and lima beans.



Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Frozen Mixed Vegetables, and Eggs 2
 
Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Mixed Frozen Vegetables, and Eggs

You'll need:
About two to three cups leftover rice (Fresh rice has too much moisture and will make your fried rice soggy. You can put fresh rice in the fridge to cool down and stiffen before using.)
1 cup frozen or canned vegetables
2 links of Chinese sausage (I prefer lap xuong (Chinese sausage) from Quang Tran, Inc.)
2-3 eggs, scrambled or use my scrambled egg omelet technique
oyster sauce or soy sauce, to taste

Slice Chinese sausage and set aside.

Heat up your wok or pan to medium high. Beat two eggs and make a thin omelet. (If you have milk on hand, (because I don't always) add a tablespoon of milk to make the omelet fluffier.) If you're using a wok, swirl it around until a thin omelet is formed like I showed you here. Set aside.

Saute Chinese sausage until the edges start turning golden. Drain the fat.

Add however much of the vegetables you'd like. If they're canned, obviously drain them first. If they're frozen, saute until the ice melts.

Add enough oyster sauce or soy sauce to coat the meat and vegetables. I prefer oyster sauce because it's thicker and more flavorful, but that's up to you. Add rice and toss until thoroughly mixed. If the rice has been sitting in the fridge for several days and is very hard, simply pop it in the microwave for a minute to soften. Add the egg omelet last and chop it up with your spatula or wooden spoon until the egg is in small chunks.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Frozen Mixed Vegetables, and Eggs 3

As I said, very pretty and very tasty.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Frozen Mixed Vegetables, and Eggs 4

Enjoy!

My other fried rice recipes:  
Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs)
Fried Rice with Apples and Cubed Beef
Fried Rice with Bacon, Corn, Eggs, and Green Onions
Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce Fried Rice with Hot Dogs, Eggs, and Ketchup
Fried Rice with Kimchee and Spam
Fried Rice with Pineapples
Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth
Fried Rice Yang Chow-Style

14 comments:

  1. When I saw the first 2 pix, w/o reading on, I was already saying to myself, it's so pretty!
    With such a small bowl, I think I can have 5?
    (Comments from previous post: about visiting Vnese restaurants in the South Bay...quite often I do. But I will always order pho and nothing but pho...oops!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I love fried rice. If I use fresh rice, I'll cook the rice with a bit less water so that they won't be so moist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WC, good one, more veges and chinese sausage, and less rice-whites-carbs ! hehe :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tigerfish,
    Thanks. :)

    And now you know to try VNese coffee next time you go out for pho. :)

    Kev,
    Great minds do eat alike indeed. :)

    Yich,
    I guess I could have been smart and do it your way instead of sticking it in the fridge to cool down. :P

    Melting Wok,
    Nothing wrong with carbs, Asian people have been eating rice for thousands of years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your pics. :) nice cute pics. chomp chomp. i love the little sausages the most. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Budding Cook,
    Thanks. I love Chinese sausages too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey- you ever use fish sauce to fry rice? I like it so much better - with the sweet salty thing going on. (email me back!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jaden,
    I prefer using oyster sauce to get the level of saltiness and b/c it clings to the rice and veggies better. But I always advocate using fish sauce on anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I tried this today. I didn't have the Chinese sausage but I had chicken thighs and cut them up small.

    I should've made the rice earlier. That was a bit moist like you said, but it was good tip to put it in the fridge.

    I also added in a bit of garlic at the beginning. I guess it's a mix between your garlic and egg fried rice and this fried rice.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wildpopart,
    Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes fried rice is just whatever you have laying around. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks nice, but what about the taste? I usually find canned or frozen vegetables to be pretty devoid of any flavor (I particularly abhor Lima beans), and not very authentic either. My usual recipe for fried rice is rice, cubed spam or sausage, diced green onion, scrambled egg, fish sauce, and sesame oil. Another variation is bacon instead of sausage, and some Korean kimchee. Sriracha is a good topper, along with some toasted sesame seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rick,
    I particularly love lima beans. :) And frozen vegetables taste fine to me me. As for authenticity, that's debateable, especially for someone who suggests using Spam. Not that I have a problem with it since I have a recipe for fried rice with Spam too. Also, plenty of Chinese restaurants use frozen vegetables these days. The main point of fried rice is to use up leftover rice and to use what you have on hand so anything goes really.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a fried rice lover and I just bookmarked this page for reference for when I cook fried rice for my family on weekends. Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!