Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 1

Don't be put off by the lettuce in this fried rice recipe. The crisp, coolness of iceberg lettuce is a perfect contrast to the fatty Chinese sausage. Other than that, it's a pretty basic fried rice recipe.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce
from lil' sis's best friend

You'll need:
2 cups day-old cooked rice
5 eggs, scrambled or use my scrambled egg omelet technique
3 Chinese sausages, sliced
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
Soy sauce to taste

Make lightly scrambled eggs or use my scrambled egg omelet technique. Set aside.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 2

Slice about 3 Chinese sausages. My family prefers Quang Tran, Inc. brand (these are not it), but any kind will do.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 3

Saute the Chinese sausages with 1/2 sliced onion until the onion is golden and the sausages are lightly crisp at the edges.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 4

The Chinese sausages are pretty greasy so you may want to dab with a paper towel to remove excess grease.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 5

Add cooked rice to a wok or pan.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 6

Then add Chinese sausages, onions, and scrambled eggs. Mix thoroughly and season with soy sauce to taste.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 7

As we sat down to eat the dinner that lil' sis's best friend and her other friend had prepared for us, I noticed that there was still bok choy and iceberg lettuce on the counter.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 8

What's the iceberg lettuce for? I asked

For the fried rice, but then lil' sis's best friend decided to just omit the lettuce so we could sit down and eat.

Oh, I said a little sadly. But I already have a Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage and Mixed Frozen Vegetables recipe on the blog. This fried rice is too similar to warrant another recipe. But if he made fried rice with lettuce...

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 9

Well! If it'll get him another mention on the blog...

So lil' sis's best friend tossed in half a head of sliced iceberg lettuce.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 10

Just until wilted.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 11

Then added the plate of fried rice, Chinese sausages, and eggs back into the pan. Mix thoroughly.

Voila!

Fried rice with Chinese sausages, eggs, and lettuce.

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce 12

The cooked lettuce added a nice bit of green and helped cut the greasiness of the Chinese sausage.

Won't you try cooking lettuce too?

Enjoy!

Other dishes served at this dinner:
Chinese Spare Ribs with Coca Cola and Soy Sauce
Chinese Tomato Egg Shrimp Stir-Fry
Bok Choy Sauteed with Garlic

*****
1 year ago today, Duet rose.
2 years ago today, Seaworld Seafood Restaurant BBQ and Dim Sum To Go - Rosemead.
3 years ago today, Chili.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting. I'm not sure I've ever cooked lettuce! But I guess I haven't cooked much, period. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! So that's where the lettuce went. I thought there was something missing ;).

    My local favorite for HK food, May Mei, does a chicken fried rice with lettuce, eggs, and chicken. Almost the same, but I do wonder how Chinese sausage and lettuce pair up- haven't tried that combo before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen and eaten a lot of fried rice, and I must say yours look really good. I shall try your recipe since I just bought a packet of Chinese sausages :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey WC - Looks good. My MIL once taught me how to make Chinese Sausage.... but it was waaaay to much work for me. Funny thing about lettuce in hot dishes. I'd never had cooked iceberg lettuce growing up. I distinctly remember the first time I pulled a piece of cooked lettuce from the bottom of an hot pot, and thinking WTF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooohhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhh mum used to make this for us!!! cooked lettuce tastes as good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking the other day that I really need to try Chinese sausage! Is this fate?

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! love fried rice that has chinese sausage in it. always so delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WeeMo,
    I always thought the chef was trying to use up veggies when I came across this, not that it was deliberate.

    ETE,
    I think the lettuce really helps to cut the greasiness of Chinese sausage. I love it, but you know it's not that healthy.

    Wiffy,
    Thanks! Although, your fried rice recipes look plenty good to me!

    Kirk,
    There's something about how the flavor and texture of cooked lettuce changes that I just love. My mom used to boil lettuce for juice when I was little. She said it was healthy.

    Ann,
    I like cooked lettuce too!

    Marie,
    You must try the Chinese sausage from Quang Tran then! That's the best!

    Diva,
    Definitely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!