Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Potato Champion (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon

After ordering our pies at Whiffies Fried Pies (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon I couldn't help but notice the crowd in front of Potato Champion. I had to go see why it was so popular.

16 Potato Champion (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon 1

This guy was such a trip. I can't remember all that we were chatting about, but when I asked him about the "Dept. of High Fives" sign, he told me to step over.

16 Potato Champion (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon 2

And then gave me an enthusiastic high five!

16 Potato Champion (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon 3

The condiment bar.

16 Potato Champion (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon 4

I got a single order poutine fries with cheese curds and gravy, $4.50. I had to order this so that I could have a Canadian entry on the blog. :) Don't be deceived by the plain paper box. These fries are Belgian-style, blanched and double-fried to be fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. The gravy is made from free-range chicken stock. And the cheese curds come from Rogue Creamery.

16 Potato Champion (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon 5

The next night, again we've switched out hanging out with youngest Argentinian cousin for our two middle nephews, I ordered small Belgian fries, $3.50, which comes with one container of dipping sauce. Extra dipping sauces were 50 cents each, but the guy gave me another for free. The dipping sauces were tarragon anchovy mayo and rosemary truffle ketchup.

16 Potato Champion (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon 6

I loooved the tarragon anchovy mayonnaise. It was like fancy aioli.

Between Whiffies Fried Pies and Potato Champion, the food cart pod at the corner of SE 12th Avenue and Hawthorne Boulevard is a pretty happening place late at night.

And before I end this post, I leave you with some pictures of our last dinner with the folks. Razor clam and mushroom stir-fry.

17 Mushrooms, Oysters, and Sticky Rice 1

Oysters from Pacific Oyster - Bay City - Oregon.

17 Mushrooms, Oysters, and Sticky Rice 2

And to eat on the airplane, my mom sent me off with a ball of sticky rice and dried shrimp.

17 Mushrooms, Oysters, and Sticky Rice 3

This concludes my Oregon September 2009 trip.

All Oregon posts can be found with the tag Series: Oregon, but I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
Giant Catfish and Family Trips Home
Mom and Dad's Garden Again
Pacific Oyster - Bay City - Oregon
Tillamook Cheese Factory - Tillamook - Oregon
Barview Jetty County Park - Rockaway Beach - Oregon
Searching for Tide Pools
Campfire S'Mores and Other Breakfast Treats
Dismantling Camp and Leaving Rockaway Beach - Oregon
Short Beach - Oregon and Home
Rice Krispies Treats
Chasing Waterfalls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Behind the Scenes: Bob's Red Mill - Milwaukie - Oregon
Whiffies Fried Pies (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon
Potato Champion (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon

Potato Champion
1207 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
Portland, OR 97214
503-683-3797
Tuesday to Sunday noon to 3 a.m.
Check out Potato Champion on Twitter for menu updates.

*****
1 year ago today, Nearly Wild rose.
2 years ago today, Sukju Namul (Korean Seasoned Mung Bean Sprouts).
3 years ago today, Sweet Corn Tomalito.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a happenin' place, this food cart! The Belgian frites are calling my name...

    Thoroughly enjoyed your Oregon posts! I liked the great photos and the stories about your family...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sticky rice and fried shrimp looks awfully good. I'd imagine you got some envious looks from other passengers on that flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CC,
    Get the truffle anchovy dipping sauce. So good! Glad at least someone is enjoying my Oregon posts!

    Sijeleng,
    I don't know if anyone noticed me eating my rice ball. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!