Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, October 09, 2009

Mom and Dad's Garden Again

I've shown you my parents' garden before, but a lot can happen to a garden in a year. So let's tour it again, shall we?

We start in the far left corner with my mom's rose garden.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 1

Coming in closer to the house. My dad carried and placed all those granite rocks himself.

 Photos taken from my bedroom window.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 2

On the right side, my mom's attempting to turn the thrift store reindeer into topiaries.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 3

Trees! I do miss the trees.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 4

OK, let's go downstairs.

But let's go out through the front door and enter the garden that way. Seriously, I don't know how my mom manages to grow plants in these shallow pots.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 5

Autumn Joy Sedum.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 6

Crocosmia that my mom got from the Oregon coast.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 7

The greenhouse that my dad built for my mom.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 8

My mom's upside-down tomato plant.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 9

Ngo om (Vietnamese rice paddy herb), an essential ingredient in Canh Chua Ca (Vietnamese Sour Fish Soup).

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 10

Tiny chayote squash on the vine.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 11

After walking through my mom's greenhouse, we enter the garden from the far right side.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 12

Looking toward the center. That's the persimmon tree that lil' sis and I drove up the previous year to replace the unknown tree that my parents dug up because it grew way too fast and too big.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 13

Like the way my parents shape their small trees?

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 14

I urged my mom to buy this wisteria after I saw a neighbor's vine dripping purple flowers all over his deck.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 15

The long view looking left.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 16

And the long view again with the fruit trees on the right side.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 17

Close-up of the rose garden.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 18

The path up toward the deck and to the other entrance.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 19

Grape vines along the fence.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 20

The doggies love my dad.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 21

This is Penny.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 22

And this is Sebastien.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 23

Mustard that my mom was drying out to harvest the seeds to plant next year.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 24

The top of lil' sis's footboard broke on her bed so my mom turned it into a trellis.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 25

A straight view from the center.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 26

Time to go inside and eat!

Herbs from my mom's garden.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 27

To go with my mom's bun bo Hue (Vietnamese Hue-style beef noodle soup).

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 28

And some Ca Bong Lau Nuong (Vietnamese Roasted Catfish) from the giant catfish that my dad caught earlier.

2 Mom and Dad's Garden Again 29

With full bellies, it was time to head for the coast!

All Oregon posts can be found with the tag Series: Oregon, but I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
Giant Catfish and Family Trips Home
Mom and Dad's Garden Again
Pacific Oyster - Bay City - Oregon
Tillamook Cheese Factory - Tillamook - Oregon
Barview Jetty County Park - Rockaway Beach - Oregon
Searching for Tide Pools
Campfire S'Mores and Other Breakfast Treats
Dismantling Camp and Leaving Rockaway Beach - Oregon
Short Beach - Oregon and Home
Rice Krispies Treats
Chasing Waterfalls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Behind the Scenes: Bob's Red Mill - Milwaukie - Oregon
Whiffies Fried Pies (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon
Potato Champion (Food Cart) - Portland - Oregon

*****
1 year ago today, Agios Georgios, Corfu Town, and Vidos Island, Corfu - Greece.
2 years ago today, Baechu Bimchi (Korean Pickled Napa Cabbage).

3 comments:

  1. your parents have a beautiful garden. so many different plants and flowers. love the photo of sebastien (those big eyes, awwwww), and the tiny cute chayote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how that dark granite sets off the greens in the garden and the pretty wooden fence. That baby chayotte is too adorable, like a little baby with fuzzy hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CC,
    They did a lot of work! It was just barren and uneven when they moved in.

    Nikki,
    After it rains, you can see these sort of turquoise rocks that my dad sprinkled in with these white rocks on the path. Really pretty. It does rain plenty to keep things green. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!