Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Mango Bread

While searching for a recipe for Hawaiian taro bread, I stumbled upon four different recipes for mango bread. MANGO bread people! Can you just hear my squeal of glee?

So I scanned all four recipes, chose the best one, made some adjustments based upon my preferences for less sweet sweets, and ended up with a recipe that's even better than my banana bread. My cousins wolfed this down and asked for more, but alas, all gone.

Mango Bread 1


Mango Bread
Adapted from AlohaWorld.com

For one overstuffed big loaf, or one big loaf partially full and two smaller loaves, you'll need:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mashed mango or mango juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or applesauce if you want to cut out some of the fat, but it won't be nearly as moist.)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 fresh mangoes, diced (about 2 cups worth, or 3 cups if you want it really mango-y)
1 cup chopped walnuts

Optional: You can substitute 1/2 cup yogurt or sour cream for the 1/2 cup mango nectar or juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Dice 2 or 3 mangoes and set aside. If you don't know how, I posted directions on how to peel and cut mangoes.

Cream 3/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar, and 3 eggs. Then add 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup mango nectar, and 1 tsp vanilla extract. If you're substituting the mango nectar with yogurt or sour cream, fold that in when you add the mangoes.

Mix 2 cups flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt.

Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Gently fold in the diced mangoes and 1 cup walnuts.

Pour into 1 big loaf pan and/or 2 smaller loaf pans.

Mango Bread 2

Mango Bread 3

Mango Bread 4

Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

Moist, with a slight hint of spice from the cinnamon, crunchy walnuts, and soft sweet mango chunks. This mango sweet bread was declared an immediate winner by my cousins. It was so good that when I made a later batch, my youngest aunt mentioned she had heard about my mango bread but hadn't tasted it because her husband and son ate it all before she got home. :P

Mango Bread 5

Enjoy!

Who made my recipe for mango bread?
Hedgehog of Diary of a Novice Cook made this recipe almost immediately.
Ning of Heart and Hearth made muffins and said, "Very yummy, soft and moist. It had the right amount of sweetness, not too cloyingly sweet..."
Life with Skinnymum served it to her daughters and said, "The minute they took a bite, everything else changed, banana bread was totally forgotten. All of them had seconds, and one of their friends even asked to take the rest of it back home! My girls only allowed her to do so after I promised to bake another loaf the next day. I was so happy, grinning away like a silly woman..."
Too Much Food Blog said, "This was incredibly delicious."

My other sweet bread recipes:
Banana Bread
Blueberry Muffins 
Cinnamon Rolls

Persimmon Bread
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cranberry/Pumpkin Butter/Walnut Filling and Maple Icing
Strawberry Banana Bread
Taro Dinner Rolls

22 comments:

  1. wow that looks yummy. It looks so moist doesn't it.Does it need to be fridged straight after though? I've got all the ingredients to do it straight away but I'm thinking of taking it to my friend's house tomorrow, which is 3 hours away. Just wondering if it's ok not being fridged?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hedgehog,
    You can leave it out at room temperature for a day or so and it should be fine. Refrigerated tastes good too b/c the mango chunks will be nice and chilled. If you're taking it to your friend's house though, I'd encourage you to pour a little bit of the batter into a smaller pan so you can eat some beforehand. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent, I shall make a start on this little 'project' and will let you know the result. thanks for the quick response. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. All gone??? I'm feel moody now :(
    I'm always tempted by the outcome of baking but I don't enjoy the process. So you and Simcooks must "donate" your bakes to me regularly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg... best idea ever... I'm totally making this when I get my hands on some mangos! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hedgehog,
    Thanks for being my first guinea pig. :)

    Tigerfish,
    My baking is more miss than hit. And I don't have too much of a sweet tooth anyway. I always decrease the sugar content of recipes by half.

    Amy,
    Do! It was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo - mango bread! I love mangos...I'll probably have to wait till I get back to Australia or somewhere in Asia to get any decent ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. W&S,
    Live a summer without mangos? I don't think I can! What are the indecent mangos in Germany like? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all loved the mango bread, especially the children. But more mango, more mango.... Do you think I can substitute mango purée for the applesauce? We'll need to recalibrate the oven or something because it took way longer than 1hr, with outside crisp/dry but the inside moist--not nice and even like your pictures. But, I have to admit that I'm not a baker, so if I can tweek the bread to be mainly mango with bread for flavouring, then you've got a new convert.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi L-K,

    I think you can probably substitute the mango puree for the applesauce since it should serve to keep the bread moist. Let me know if that works! And you can probably add another cup of diced mangoes with no problem. I'd hesitate to do much more liquid than that or else the bread will become too soggy. How 'bout just eating the mango plain? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I just want to say a big THANK YOU for this mango bread recipe! My 7 year is a VERY picky eater, but I made this bread for the 1st time ever today, and my kid actually asked for a SECOND PIECE! It's moist and not too sweet, so it's ideal for breakfast. I'm sure my co-workers will rave when I bring loaf #2 to work tomorrow. ha ha... Thanks again! Mimi F. - Seattle, WA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mimi,
    I'm glad the mango bread went over so well with your kid! Time for me to make another batch as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i was all ready to make this today and printed out your recipe. then realized we only have 1 mango and i have no mango juice so instead i just made some apricot buttermilk muffins instead. hahah so sad. i was so excited to make this! ahhh one day soon, hopefully! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Angela,
    Aww, You could have halved the recipe! :P I hope you make it soon! I bet your apricot buttermilk muffins were good though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I tried your recipe but substituted dark brown sugar for the sugar, and conconut flakes for the walnuts, and this is DIVINE! The perfect mango bread recipe, thank you so much.

    K8

    ReplyDelete
  16. K8,
    Coconut flakes sounds like a great addition. Thanks so much for trying my recipe and for the feedback. I'm so glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goD! This was by far the MOST delicious bread EVER! Glad I found it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ellen,
    Oh wonderful. I always like hearing people enjoy this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i made over the weekend, and it was so good. never thought that it would taste this good! i had one loaf refrigerated and the other at room temp. still can't decide which is better. i am going to get so more mangoes today and bake another batch tonight.

    thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Skinny Mum,
    So glad you and the girls enjoyed this recipe. Definitely better than banana bread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A simple recipe with lots of flavor! DELICIOUS!!! I used sour cream, as suggested, (I also use this in my banana bread recipe) and did not even bother with the salt. I need to go and find more mangoes so I can share with the rest of the family. Thank you for sharing your recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mae,
    I use sour cream or yogurt in my banana bread recipe as well. I love getting comments even on really old posts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!