Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Fried Rice with Bacon, Corn, Eggs, and Green Onions



Because of my repeated ravings about the fried rice, Henry Chan's Food Videos went to Daikokuya to check it out. And he luckily managed to get a video of them spooning the ramen broth into the fried rice. So that's their secret ingredient!

Well, I haven't the time to simmer pork bones for a full day to get a milky broth to spoon into my fried rice. But I've come up with a pretty darned tasty version that uses bacon, corn, eggs, and green onions. It ranks right up there with my other fried rice standby - fried rice with Chinese sausage, mixed frozen vegetables, and eggs.

A word of warning, this fried rice is not for the faint of heart. The flavor comes from bacon and butter, so be forewarned.



Fried Rice with Bacon, Corn, Eggs, and Green Onions

For about four servings, you'll need:

2 cups cooked rice, preferably day-old and refrigerated. If you're making the rice fresh, lessen the water by 1/4 cup and add a tsp of salt.
4-6 strips bacon, or however many your arteries can stand
2-3 eggs, scrambled or use my scrambled egg omelet technique
1/2 can corn, drained
2-3 stalks green onions, sliced thinly
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 tblsp butter, or however much more your arteries can stand
soy sauce, to taste

Slice bacon strips and saute in wok until golden but not crispy. Move bacon to sides of wok. The fat should remain in the middle of the wok, take a paper towel and absorb excess grease. Or keep it for added flavor if you're not worried about your cholesterol.

Add minced garlic and sliced green onions and saute briefly until fragrant.

Beat 2-3 eggs in a bowl (add 1 tblsp of milk for fluffiness if you have it on hand). Move bacon and onions to sides of wok. Add beaten eggs to center of wok and tilt wok around until eggs are cooked.


Add drained corn and rice and mix thoroughly. Add soy sauce to taste. Add a few tblsps of butter. Taste again and add more soy sauce, butter, or salt if needed. You want a slightly salty, buttery, bacony taste.

I wouldn't advocate making this too often because of the bacon and butter. But let's just say, lil' sis finished off the whole wok.

Enjoy!

My other fried rice recipes:
Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs)
Fried Rice with Apples and Cubed Beef
Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce
Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Mixed Frozen Vegetables, and Eggs
Fried Rice with Hot Dogs, Eggs, and Ketchup
Fried Rice with Kimchee and Spam
Fried Rice with Pineapples
Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth
Fried Rice Yang Chow-Style

11 comments:

  1. I made that for my lunch the other day. So easy yet so tasty isn't it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first time frying fried rice in winter was a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - that sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WC,

    It's not so scary that your readers know your eating habits. LA's little Tokyo has been blogged extensively by many, many bloggers, including mmyoso, This Delicious Life, Collen's cuisine, and others. They have blogged the itinerary to undertake in Little Tokyo. I read all of these adventures and for the last two years, I've made a trip to LA just to experience the Little Tokyo eating experience as bloggers see it. I would say that my traveling and eating experience is more dependent on bloggers than on any other source, including travel magazines, TV, or tour books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was soooo soooo looking forward to the ramen pix...since it was so well-"publicized" in your earlier post. Anyway, I like how you crack the egg in the wok center and do your fried rice...very authentic. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm. A proper fried rice. I don't have a wok, so we use a skillet. Can never get it just right with a skillet. Any recommendations on where to find a good, and cheap, wok?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hedgehog,
    Yes, but so very bad for you!

    Cooking Ninja,
    How come?

    Nikki,
    Bacon makes everything yummy! :)

    Joanna,
    That may be, but there are many, many food options in Little Tokyo so someone else's food picks aren't necessarily going to coincide with mine.

    Tigerfish,
    But couldn't you just look at my previous ramen pics if you have a craving? :)

    Marvin,
    Hmm. Good and cheap. Mine was bought at A Chau in Fountain Valley off the Magnolia/Edinger 405 exit, for $10 and it's humongous. How far are you willing to travel? I know the San Gabriel Superstore has a pretty good selection but since I already have one, I don't know the prices. There's a VNese grocery store on Holt, off Indian Hill called Hoa Binh that you can try. Don't know if they have any but you can call and ask first.

    Get a nice carbon steel wok. Season it by turning on the stove to high and drizzle some sesame oil, then wipe it all over the inside with a paper towel and you're good to go. I also have a cheap bamboo brush scrubber. But other than that, it's like cast iron and you don't want to use soap to wash it. Just rub oil after each use and your wok should be relatively naturally non-stick. Let me know if you need more help finding a one! Make a trip out to the SGV and you can get dumplings too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man! hehe - all that butter and bacon - my heart is "fainting"! hehe! That looks really good and I can almost smell it from here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmm butter and bacon. I'm sold! I wish I can have this for lunch. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. A woman with a Wok. That is awesome. I am starving right now and that really looks delicious.

    If you're back in the SGV, i recommend a bun bo hue place for you – Nem Nuong Khanh Hoa, not Nem Nuong Ninh Hoa. I'd love to see what you think of it b/c you're the vietnamese food connossieur.

    ReplyDelete
  11. W&S,
    No tuna! You can't eat this. It's not diet-approved. ;)

    Amy,
    Aww, I wish I can have most of the stuff you've been cooking up lately for lunch too.

    EDNBM,
    Yeah, it's on my "restaurants to try" list but not for bun bo Hue, for their nem nuong. C'mon, you gotta order what they say their specialty is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!