Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth

I know this goes against every rule about keeping fried rice dry so it doesn't become mushy, but when I go to the trouble of making homemade ramen broth, I'm going to extract as many uses for it as possible. Just look at how a ladle of ramen broth makes the rice grains glisten.


Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth 1

Last year, when I posted my recipe for Fried Rice with Bacon, Corn, Eggs, and Green Onions, I mentioned that I was inspired by seeing Henry Chan's Food Videos' brief clip of the Daikokuya Noodle & Rice-Bowl folks ladling a spoonful of their fabulously porky ramen broth into the fried rice just before serving. That spoonful of broth added just at the end gives so much flavor to the fried rice that I just had to try it myself.



Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth

For about four servings, you'll need:
2 cups cooked rice, preferably day-old and refrigerated. (If you're making the rice fresh, lessen the water by 1/4 cup.)
About 1 cup diced Buta no kakuni (Japanese braised pork) or char siu (Chinese barbecued pork)
2-3 eggs, scrambled or use my scrambled egg omelet technique
1 steamed corn, kernels sliced off or 1/2 can, drained
2-3 stalks green onions, sliced thinly
2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 ladle of homemade ramen broth

I made this with my homemade Chinese barbecued pork, but I'd highly encourage making the Japanese braised pork instead. Dice the pork and set aside.


Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth 2

Slice off the kernels of one ear of steamed corn and thinly slice about 3 green onions. Set aside.


Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth 3

Turn the heat on to high because everything will cook very quickly in the wok. Drizzle a bit of oil, scramble three eggs. Remove the eggs from the wok and set aside. Then add a little more oil again and saute the pork with 2 cloves finely minced garlic.

Then add the corn and green onions and saute until the green onions are slightly softened. Add the rice and mix thoroughly. Add the eggs back in. Then quickly spoon in one ladle of homemade ramen broth.


Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth 4

Toss and serve.


Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth 5

Enjoy!

My other fried rice recipes:
Com Chien Toi Trung (Vietnamese Garlic Fried Rice with Eggs)
Fried Rice with Apples and Cubed Beef
Fried Rice with Bacon, Corn, Eggs, and Green Onions
Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Eggs, and Lettuce
Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Mixed Frozen Vegetables, and Eggs
Fried Rice with Hot Dogs, Eggs, and Ketchup
Fried Rice with Kimchee and Spam
Fried Rice with Pineapples
Fried Rice Yang Chow-Style

*****
1 year ago today, Monland Hot Pot City - San Gabriel.

4 comments:

  1. You are SO ambitious. Since you taught me to make yummy fried rice at home, I no longer order it in restaurants. The exception is Daikokuya, for just the reason you said in your post. That ladle of pork broth brings the fried rice to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    If I could duplicate Daikokuya's broth, I'd be in heaven. But that's what makes their fried rice so very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I love what you've done with your blog. As a young Asian girl myself, I find it so difficult to find people so passionate about making food.

    Anyway, just a suggestion. You can always use the broth to actually make the rice. That way the fried rice will stay dry and still have a strong taste. Me, myself, I like kind of wetter fried rice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lilasnstar,
    Haha! Yes, I guess I could have cooked the rice in the broth, but that never even occurred to me. :P Actually, I was going off what I saw at Daikokuya. Cooking in broth vs adding it at the end results in a slightly different infusion of flavors though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!