Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Broccoli Bacon Pasta

This recipe was created when I dug through my freezer to use up leftovers. The frozen broccoli was already soft, and after being boiled and tossed with the noodles, took on an almost pesto-like quality that ended up working really well. Of course, you can certainly use fresh broccoli instead, but lil' sis really dug the pesto-like consistency of this dish.


Broccoli Bacon Pasta

Broccoli Bacon Pasta

For about 4 servings, you'll need:
1 16-oz bag of frozen broccoli
1 16-oz box of farfalle or other pasta of your choice
About 4 pieces of bacon, or more if you'd like, chopped

Optional: Parmesan cheese for serving.

Get a pot of water boiling. Add about 1 tsp salt. I like to heavily salt my water so it flavors the pasta while it's boiling and I don't have to add it later on. When the water boils, add the pasta and broccoli to the pot.

Meanwhile, saute the bacon until crisp. Drain the fat from the pan.

When the pasta and broccoli are done, scoop out with a pasta spoon and add them to the bacon. I prefer this method to draining the pasta into a colander because it saves me an extra step and the extra water from the wet pasta cuts down on the grease. They always say to save pasta water to thicken sauces later, but time it right and do it this way, and you avoid having to do that.

Add some Parmesan cheese.

Toss.

Serve.

Enjoy!

*****
1 year ago today, chicken pot pie.
2 years ago today, Angel Face Roses, Lettuce, and Strawberry Blossoms.

4 comments:

  1. I love bacon and I love broccoli, so this seems so yummy and simple. One question though, when you wrote "When the water boils, add the pasta and bacon to the pot" did you mean "pasta and broccoli" instead?

    I'm pretty sure your fingers were just working faster than your mind, but wanted to make sure. :-)

    I never even considered using bacon in pasta, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vuthy,
    Thanks for noticing. I fixed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is impressive. You took a bunch of ingredients which don't normally go together and created an extremely delicious looking dish. Better yet, it's incredible simple. I'm gonna have try this tonight. Just wanted to drop by and offer thanks from a poor college student that's extremely strapped for time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Davey,
    Aww, thanks. I didn't think this was particularly special, just one of those meals I toss together when I'm hungry and want to eat now! So did you make it? How'd it turn out?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!