Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cranberry/Pumpkin Butter/Walnut Filling and Maple Icing

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 1

All these pumpkin recipes must have been sitting in my queue waiting and waiting for the PUMPKIN edition of Weekend Wokking! Pumpkin is the secret ingredient as picked by Ivy of Precious Pea, host of the coconut round-up.

Pumpkin cinnamon rolls with cranberry/pumpkin butter/walnut filling with maple icing.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cranberry/Pumpkin Butter/Walnut Filling and Maple Icing
Adapted from my previous recipe for cinnamon rolls.

For about a dozen small or 6 large rolls, you'll need:
3 cups flour
1 14-oz can of pumpkin pie filling, or 1 cup mashed pumpkin
1 package yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup warm water
2 tblsp butter, melted
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar

For the filling, you'll need:
As much Pumpkin Butter as you'd like
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

For the maple icing, you'll need:
1/2 cup powdered sugar, or more if you want lots of icing
2 tblsp pure maple syrup
2 tblsp melted butter

Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. If you don't have a food thermometer, I find that running the hot water tap to its hottest, gets it to the right temperature. Add the yeast to the water with 1 tsp sugar until yeast foams and is activated.

In a bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 1 14-oz can pumpkin pie filling, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup warm water with the dissolved yeast, 2 tblsp melted butter, 1 egg, and 1/2 cup sugar. By hand, add 1 cup flour and gently mix that into the dough. Knead on floured surface for about 5 to 8 minutes. Don't worry if the dough isn't all smooth since it'll be stretched and rolled anyway. Part of the lack of smoothness is because I also just knead the dough in the bowl to keep my counter tops from getting so messy.

Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, then a towel, and set in a warm place to rise for about an hour. I also don't bother with trying to get the dough all smooth since it'll be stretched and rolled anyway.

After the dough has risen to about double in size, roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it forms a large rectangle. I just patted and stretched by hand because I didn't feel like getting out my rolling pin, and afterward having to clean yet another item. Also, I figured it'll be rolled up anyway so I don't need smooth sides. Looks more rustic right? (BTW, I was still in the midst of moving when I made this last year. Notice I had to do this on top of a bookcase? And there was only a narrow band of space to walk between each doorway.)

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 2

Spread Pumpkin Butter on top.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 3

Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 4

Add 1/2 cup walnuts.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 5

Sprinkle on 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 6

Then roll into a log.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 7

Slice about 1-inch thick and place into a greased pan.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 8

This recipe makes enough for a dozen good-sized rolls, or some slightly smaller sizes too.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 9

Let the dough rise again for another 30 minutes. Then bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 10

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 11

While you're waiting for the rolls to cool down, you can prepare the icing. I try to cut down on the sugar by only drizzling icing on top. You can certainly make a lot more if you wish.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 12

Melt 2 tblsp of butter. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 tblsp pure maple syrup, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over the pumpkin cinnamon rolls.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 13

Enjoy!

I'm submitting this recipe to Weekend Wokking, a world-wide food blogging event created by Wandering Chopsticks celebrating the multiple ways we can cook one ingredient. This month's secret ingredient is the PUMPKIN. The host for November is Ning of Heart and Hearth, please check her pumpkin round-up for 15 pumpkin recipes. If you'd like to participate or to see the secret ingredient, check who's hosting next month.

My other pumpkin dishes:
Baked Kabocha (Japanese Pumpkin) with Brown Sugar and Butter
Chicken Pot Pie with Pumpkin and Cilantro Biscuits
Ginataang Kalabasa at Sitaw (Filipino Pumpkin and Long Beans in Coconut Milk)
Pumpkin Butter
Pumpkin Curry and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin Penne

10 comments:

  1. Cinnamon rolls made better with pumpkins! Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! Never heard of pumpkin cinnamon roll before but it sure looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow.. that looks fantastic!! Pumpkin and cinnamon-what a unique dessert/snack/sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you went pumpkin-crazy!!! =D

    Great pumpkin dishes all around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I love your pumpkin mania...all the flavours have come together brilliantly, & so have the rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look to die for. So sad that my apartment here HAS NO OVEN!! What is wrong with Parisians????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ning,
    Or pumpkin made better with cinnamon? :)

    PP,
    That's because I made it up!

    Daphne,
    Thanks.

    TS,
    I'm not done yet! Got more pumpkin coming soon.

    Passionate about Baking,
    Oh thank you.

    Kim,
    I can't believe you don't have an oven? I guess it's because Parisians run out to the bakery every day to buy fresh bread and croissants?

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds so good!! will you make some for thanksgiving???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tania,
    Sorry! Was too busy making taro dinner rolls instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this the other day, but my yeast failed to proof (wah) so I subbed with baking soda and milk with lemon juice. The dough ended up being a nightmare to work with, and all my rolls turned out looking kind of awful. However! They tasted AMAZING, so I'm not as unhappy as I thought I'd be. Will definitely have to try again with yeast. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!