Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bamboo Shoots

Bamboo shoots are one of my kitchen essentials because they're so versatile. They can be braised, stir-fried, and made into soups or curries.

I have yet to try the really fresh bamboo shoots, this kind that look like they were cut from the forest floor.

Bamboo Shoots 5

So what I usually buy are bamboo shoots in brine, pickled, canned, or dried. You can find them in most Asian grocery stores.

Sometimes I grab a few whole bamboo shoots from the open bins.

Bamboo Shoots 1

Bamboo Shoots 2

Or you can buy them pre-sliced.

Bamboo Shoots 3

They're also available in strips, wide and thin.

Bamboo Shoots 4

But for braising, I prefer dried bamboo shoots for the more concentrated flavor. Just soak them in hot water to soften before cooking.

Shio (Japanese Salt) Ramen 5

And if you can find them, the dried brown bamboo shoots are much tastier than the yellow ones, which can be a little bitter.

$41.40, RT LGB to PDX for 35 Hours 19

Some of my bamboo shoots recipes:
Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Potstickers with Ground Pork and Turkey, Bamboo Shoots, and Cabbage

Pumpkin Curry with Shrimp and Bamboo Shoots
Shio (Japanese Salt) Ramen
Thai Red Curry with Roast Duck, Bamboo Shoots, Eggplant, and Pumpkin
Thit Bo Kho voi Mang (Vietnamese Braised Beef with Bamboo Shoots)

Wontons with Ground Pork and Turkey, Bamboo Shoots, and Cabbage

*****
1 year ago today, Miga Korean BBQ Restaurant - Rowland Heights.

4 comments:

  1. I've been too afraid to pick up bamboo shoots: didn't know the difference between the items. Thanks for the info. There's a bamboo shoots dish at a Taiwanese small-eats restaurant in LA that my parents like: maybe we should try recreating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JS,
    I love bamboo shoots. Do try and re-create that dish. I'd be interested to see what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flavor of dried bamboo shoots is just so much more concentrated. Too bad the texture isn't as nice, but I agree, it's better for braising.

    Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaga,
    For some dishes, like VNese duck noodles, I gotta go with dried and soaked bamboo shoots. Fresh just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!