Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Chick-fil-A - Upland

There was a Chick-fil-A in the food court at the mall where I grew up, but I never really thought much of it. Cousin Q, however, makes it a point to know the ins and outs of fast food. So when he touted that Chik-fil-A's founder created the chicken sandwich and that he made his brother bring back one after a business trip to Texas, I was curious to try.

There are no Chick-fil-As in the San Gabriel Valley. The closest is either La Habra or Upland. Take your pick. It's a long drive either way. We opted for Upland.


Chick-fil-A - Upland 1

Cousin Q got a chicken sandwich. Supposedly pickles are the only adornment because they were the only thing available when the sandwich was invented. It doesn't look it, but the sandwich was incredibly juicy.



So why Chick-fil-A today? Well, I don't participate in Love Thursday, but Michelle of Bleeding Espresso does. I let her use the photos from several of my heart-shaped recipes, which she made into a gorgeous mosaic. Judging from Michelle's blog, living in the toe of Italy's boot seems pretty grand. She said once she doesn't miss much about America, except for Chick-fil-A. Who knew Chick-fil-A garnered such die-hard fans?

There's even an Italian connection.

I ordered the children's chicken nugget meal which came with waffle fries and freshly squeezed lemonade. The nuggets were entire pieces of chicken, not mechanically pulled pieces. Very good, although a tad small.


Chick-fil-A - Upland 2

The cashier also very nicely let me try all of their sauces. Without charging me extra. How nice is that?


Chick-fil-A - Upland 3

I liked all of them, particularly the Buffalo sauce and Polynesian sauce, which tasted like sweet and sour.


Chick-fil-A - Upland 4

But I think the best part was the kid's meal. The bag was educational!


Chick-fil-A - Upland 5

Encouraging kids to help in the kitchen and learn by reading recipes.


Chick-fil-A - Upland 6

A kid's meal that encourages reading!


Chick-fil-A - Upland 7

With cool mind games.


Chick-fil-A - Upland 8


Chick-fil-A - Upland 9


Chick-fil-A - Upland 10

But the best part was my "toy" was a CD to learn Italian. There were about 14 tracks, divided into greetings, directions, colors, etc. Other languages include Chinese, Russian, and Spanish. Lil' sis, who really wants to visit Italy some day, got dibs on the CD.


Chick-fil-A - Upland 11

If only Chick-fil-A were closer to me. Seriously, best kid's toy ever! Nerdy old me would rather take a language CD over a small plastic toy any day. Wouldn't you?

Who else ate at Chik-fil-A?
Cousin Q made his brother bring him back a chicken sandwich from Texas.

Chick-fil-A (located in the Colonies Crossroads strip mall)
1949 North Campus Avenue
Upland, CA 91784-1667
909-931-7123

*****
1 year ago today, golf ball-sized wontons at Won Ton Time - Alhambra (Closed).

7 comments:

  1. You're killing me here! I always loved Chick-Fil-A, but now? With this toy? Wow. They are the greatest fast food chain ever!

    P.S. My favorite way to enjoy the sauces is to dip their chicken nuggets (*so* much better than McDonald's) first in Polynesian, then in honey mustard...*excellent* sweet and sour going on there :)

    And thanks so much for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WC, there's one in Walnut (City of Industry) that just opened up, and there's one in Chino Hills. Chick-fil-A is awesome. The kids meals are so much better than other places (my kids often get books) and they are great in that they organize events for the kids' schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your blog. i grew up on chic-fil-a, born in texas. moving to california it's been so hard to find it.

    a trick though, if you get the kids meal and you don't want the educational toy, most chic-fil-a's will let you swap it out for a ice cream cone instead! yum! (at least back in the day in texas they would...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WC,

    I love Chick-fil-A. There use to be one a long time ago at Calstate LA campus. then they closed it down. that used to be my lunch during college. But in the south east there's one on every corner. Whenever i visit my husband family, we have to go to it everyday:). But they closed on Sunday. I found that out the hard way one time we were out in GA on our way back to the airport on a sunday. And i wanted to go 1 last time...but got really dissapointed when hubby told me they always close on Sunday. Part of the franchise agreement. I don't know if that's the case out here.
    I'm glad you did a post on it. thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chick-fil-a nuggets are my fast food of choice. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've drove by some Chick-Fil-A's before! I was interested when Cousin Q talked about it in his blog and now I am even more interested about it because of your photos and the very educational kids meal!

    I think the kids meal is a great idea. And also that the nuggets are actually real pieces of chicken and not mechanically separated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    I knew you'd love it. :) I was so awed by the educational aspect to the kid's meal. Wish the other chains had that same attitude.

    SIS,
    Oh yes, they're known for donating a lot to the local communities where they're located too. I'm not so familiar with Industry or Chino Hills, so they seem far to me.

    Alice,
    They still do. The cashier mentioned that, but why would I want an ice cream cone when I can have a language CD? :)

    Fkbloona,
    They're actually quite religious. Hence, the closing on Sundays. But I guess that also explains their attitude about the kid's meals?

    Pam,
    I wish they were bigger!

    WSL98787,
    Isn't it always like that though? See it mentioned somewhere and I gotta have it. The kid's meal is definitely the best part for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!