Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

How to Make a Scrambled Egg Omelet in a Wok

I've mentioned several times about scrambling eggs in a wok. They're not precisely scrambled eggs per se. It's sort of a cross between scrambled eggs and an omelet. The first time I made this, my brother was quite surprised to see all these layers in the eggs. I've since continued using the technique for all my fried rice and wok-fried noodle dishes.

I enjoy eating this simple dish for breakfast or as a nice side dish for dinner. Because I add a few dashes of fish sauce, this is sometimes my whole dinner. :)


Scrambled Egg Omelet 1


Scrambled Egg Omelet

You'll need:
2-3 eggs, beaten
1-2 tsps Nuoc Mam (Vietnamese Fish Sauce)

Optional: For fluffier texture, add 1 tsp milk per egg.

Beat three eggs and add about 1 to 2 tsps fish sauce. If you're not familiar with fish sauce, I suggest starting out with 1 tsp and see if you like it with eggs first before adding more.

Heat your wok on high and add a few drizzles of oil. When smoke starts coming out of the wok, add in the eggs and swirl around in the wok until a thin layer is formed.


Scrambled Egg Omelet 2


Then gently slide the eggs onto the side of the wok with a wooden spoon. Tilt the wok so the eggs drift down to the empty side.


Scrambled Egg Omelet 3


Keep repeating and flipping the eggs until a sort of loose omelet is formed.


Scrambled Egg Omelet 4


If that isn't very clear, I made a YouTube video just for you. Obviously, the technique would show up much better if I wasn't doing this one-handed. :P




And thus, you have what I call my scrambled egg omelet. This is a savory dish so serve with plain white rice to show off its flavors.


Scrambled Egg Omelet 6


Enjoy!

I used the scrambled egg omelet in these other recipes:
Fried Rice with Bacon, Corn, Eggs, and Green Onions
Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, Mixed Frozen Vegetables, and Eggs
Fried Rice with Hot Dogs, Eggs, and Ketchup
Fried Rice with Kimchee and Spam
Fried Rice Yang Chow-Style
Pad See-Ew (Thai Rice Noodles with Soy Sauce, Broccoli, Chicken, and Eggs)

*****
1 year ago today, Yum Cha Cafe in San Gabriel is still my favorite place for freshly steamed shrimp cheong fun (Chinese rice noodle rolls).

18 comments:

  1. I like to call my mixed scrambled eggs / omelettes: Scromlettes. Usually this is because I have put too many veggies into my omelette and it refuses to hold together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like how i make mine but i don't use a wok. hmmm...might have to make eggs for lunch today...yum....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to hear your voice!

    And now I don't feel silly, I love eggs and rice, but always thought I was odd...

    My dad makes scrambled eggs with shrimp and ginger for special brunches - YUM. But those we eat with bagels... : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, I still need to get me a wok! What a great technique you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make eggs the same way too, sometimes in a wok, sometimes in a cast iron frying pan. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely! Sometimes, I have this style of eggs in my sandwich too. It tastes really good between two slices of buttered bread...

    ReplyDelete
  7. MCR,
    Great minds think alike!

    Oanh,
    Scromlettes! I love it!

    bluang3lbby,
    The consistency is a little lighter made in a wok.

    oddlyme,
    Oooh, a shrimp and ginger omelet sounds lovely. I'd eat that with rice too. :)

    Marvin,
    C'mon, surely the wok envy will get you to buy one some day?

    Kits Chow,
    Thanks! I think it's a fairly popular technique.

    Daphne,
    Yes, I do that too. Sometimes I also wrap the eggs in rice paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey wc,

    i do this too but not in a wok like bluang3lbby. my technique differs a bit but we have the same output. looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little Maggi and Sriracha, then you've got Eggs-A-La-Dylan! Great vid. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicholas,
    Thanks. How's your ca phe sua da go? Did you try my cold water in the filter first suggestion?

    Elmo,
    Sure. Anything for you. ;)I've got some coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey wc, i tried your dad's technique and it worked! even though it filtered in about five minutes it was still strong and tasted really good. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicholas,
    Cool! Nice to know it's fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey WC,

    My local Chinese restaurant does a great combination scrambled egg (chicken, pork, beef, prawn). I've tried to make it a few times without success. When I found this vid on YT I thought my prayers had been answered. I've tried for days but can't get it to play. :(

    My last YT vid is a Chinese recipe that yu might like to try. There's a link on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Matt,
    I just checked again and my video plays just fine. There's step by step photos instructing you how to make this. Not sure if my recipe is what you're looking for though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. do youthink i can substitute for fish sauce with maggi?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tania,
    Sure you can. You know lil' sis prefers soy sauce to fish sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like to add diced scallions about 1 tsp per serving stirred into the omelett, and 1/2 tsp (1 small squirt) of sriracha right on top of the omelette before serving. This adds nice color and smell. Occasionally, I add browned sliced red Chinese sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sad Parent,
    Ah, that does sound nice and colorful. Sadly, I rarely keep scallions around unless I'm making a specific recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!