Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Banh Mi Xa Xiu (Vietnamese Barbecued Pork Sandwich)

Banh mi xa xiu 1

So now that you've got my recipe for Char Siu/Xa Xiu (Chinese/Vietnamese Barbecued Pork), it's simple enough to put together a recipe for banh mi xa xiu (Vietnamese barbecued pork sandwich). Again, this is more an assembly list of instructions than a recipe.

Banh mi xa xiu 2
 
Banh Mi Xa Xiu (Vietnamese Barbecued Pork Sandwich)

You'll need:
French bread or Ciabatta-ish No-Knead Bread
Char Siu/Xa Xiu (Chinese/Vietnamese Barbecued Pork)
Do Chua (Vietnamese Pickled Carrots and Daikon)
Cucumbers, julienned
Cilantro
Pate (Faux Gras with Chicken Livers)
A few dashes of Maggi Seasoning Sauce or soy sauce
A schmear of mayonnaise or butter if you wish

Assemble all the ingredients, except pickles, cucumbers, and cilantro.

Put in the toaster oven for about 5 minutes.

Add in greens and pickles. So yummy that this works even on ciabatta-ish no-knead bread and grated carrots with a light rice vinegar vinaigrette.

Banh mi xa xiu 3

Remember when I said I had a banh mi series of posts? This is just the second recipe to whet your appetite. :)

My other Vietnamese sandwich recipes:  
Banh Mi Hot Ga Op La (Vietnamese French Bread with Sunnyside-Up Eggs)  
Banh Mi Thit Heo Nuong (Vietnamese Grilled Pork Sandwich)
Banh Mi Thit Kho Trung (Vietnamese Braised Pork and Egg Sandwich)  
Banh Mi Xiu Mai (Vietnamese Meatball Sandwich)

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. oh i adore banh mi. even with my braces, i still attempt at eating it. one of these days i'm going to break a bracket and my orthodontist will only see bread crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh this looks delicious. I'm so sad to say that I've never had a banh mi before; but it looks like thanks to your blog, I can try to rememdy that myself! :)

    Thanks so much for your lovely thoughts on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just saying (i.e. complaining) the other day that I need to find a good bahn mi place in Vancouver. But, now that you've provided all the recipes ... I guess I just need to buckle down and make it myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhhh my gawd...
    "dies"

    falls off chair in starvation...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh geez,I have Banh Mi at least 4 days a week in the morning for breakfast, if not its a breakfast burrito. You know, I used your Xiu mai recipe at least twice a month which turns out to be my breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lan,
    I ate so much junk when I had braces. My orthodontist had to glue brackets back all the time.

    Carmen,
    Never? That's another VNese dish you'll have to try then.

    Allen,
    Really? I thought there was quite a sizeable VNese population in Vancouver. Maybe you just haven't found a good banh mi shop yet?

    Kimberly Tia,
    Haha. Thanks lady.

    Houston Wok,
    Awesome. How 'bout a xiu mai burrito? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...this ba'nh mi` looks so good. I can't wait to make this xa xiu recipe. I am planning to make some ba'nh mi`xa xiu and bring them to the beach :-) Thanks again for posting this recipe.

    -Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. May I ask... how do these taste without the pate?
    I'm shying away from it because it seems so terribly fatty. I've had a couple of different Lee's sandwiches, but that is all I have for comparison. I'd really like to make these at home, but do you think I will miss the pate?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zoe,
    Thanks! I hope you liked it!

    Fear & Loathing,
    The sandwich tastes just as good without pate. If you don't like pate, don't add any, but you're only adding a schmear to the sandwich, so not that much. It's a sandwich! Add as much or as little of each ingredient as you want. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!