Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, March 12, 2007

Move Over V-8, Make Room for Sinh To Ca Chua (Vietnamese Tomato Shake)

Sinh To Ca Chua 3

It's not quite hot summer days yet when tomatoes are in peak season. But I couldn't resist these gorgeous vine-ripened tomatoes. Especially because they were on sale. I bought 5 pounds of tomatoes and am thinking of heading back for more...

The tomato originated in the New World. The Spanish brought the tomato to Europe and to the Philippines, where it then spread throughout Southeast Asia. It's scientifically classified as a fruit, even though many of us treat it as a vegetable.

In Vietnam, the tomato is used as part of a sauce to braise fish and for Canh Chua Ca (Vietnamese Sour Fish Soup). But it's also treated as a fruit for tomato shakes. I have many a fond memory of grabbing a late afternoon snack with my cousin. The drinks were often sold on the street, where we'd sit on kiddie-sized plastic chairs and chat about our day. I'd alternate between ordering freshly squeezed sugarcane juice, Sinh To Bo (Vietnamese Avocado Milkshakes), and tomato shakes.

Now, if you don't love tomatoes, and don't enjoy eating them fresh off the vine, this probably wouldn't be for you. But if you're like me, there's no comparison to truly savor the refreshing taste of a fully ripe tomato.



Sinh To Ca Chua 2

 Sinh To Ca Chua (Vietnamese Tomato Shake) 

The recipe is simple:
1/2 cup ice cubes
1-2 tomatoes depending on size
1 small spoonful of sugar

Blend until ice is crushed.

Pour into glass.

Add more sugar if necessary.

It's like biting into a crisp, cold tomato. Except instead of worrying about the juices running down your chin, you drink it all up.

Sinh To Ca Chua 1

 Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Hey WC - This sounds really refreshing....I do like tomato juice, so I'll probably love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm resisting the urge to add celery salt, hot sauce, and vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! I echo what CP said. But even without that, I'd rather have this than V8...V8's nasssty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kirk,
    Yeah, not everyone likes tomatoes so this is an acquired taste.

    CP,
    I'm sure if you made a fresh bloody mary it'd be darn tasty!

    Elmo,
    I can drink V-8. But it tastes like drinking pasta sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must admit though that V-8 is a much catchier name than "sinh to ca chua" ...

    :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomatoes are my favorite food so I can't wait to try this, thanks!
    -bonbon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oanh,
    We just gotta come up with a catchier name then! STCC? :P

    B&S,
    I hope you like it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!