Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Balsamic Vinaigrette


The sun is out. Yay! Weather totally affects my eating habits and apparently my posting schedule. When the weather is gloomy I post about soups or quilting. When it's sunny, or when I hope it stays sunny, I post bright colors.

So much tomato goodness. I've eaten almost all of the 10 pounds of tomatoes I bought recently. I've eaten many of them plain. I've made sinh to ca chua (Vietnamese tomato shake), bruschetta, and added them to borscht. And I've also enjoyed many of them in my salads.

I love balsamic vinegar and often drizzle it plain on salads. But sometimes I kick it up just a notch in this basic vinaigrette. A vinaigrette is an emulsion of several liquids. In salads, that often means oil and vinegar. I really don't do any measurements here so these are all estimates. I just start adding in what I like into a glass jar, close the top, start shaking. Drizzle over salad.


Balsamic Vinaigrette

You'll need:
Any salad of your choosing. I have spinach and mixed greens with sliced radishes and tomatoes.

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp capers, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small lemon, juiced

Add all ingredients to a glass jar and shake throughly. Drizzle over salad.

I served mine with pan-fried salmon with lemon pepper seasoning.

The dressing should keep for several weeks in the refrigerator. Although, I admit, mine usually gets all eaten before then.

I've got a really pretty and yummy salad recipe coming up that uses this dressing.

6 comments:

  1. Hi WC - 10 pounds of tomatoes! I like tomatoes...but 10 pounds, eh?
    Hey, your word verification says ocfodie...how appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirk,
    I looooove tomatoes. :)

    Haha! Sometimes the verification words are funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a tomato person too! Yes, like you said, our taste buds are insync :D
    But how did you keep your 10lbs tomatoes for so long?
    Even if I keep them at room temp, they start to turn "too ripe" almost give me that "rotten look" after a while. :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tigerfish,
    My house is pretty cool so I guess that helps? I try and find some that are ripe to eat right away, and then some not-so-ripe ones to put next to the apples in my fruit bowl to ripen them for later. I do that with avocadoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Restaurant El Glop -
    Calle Casp 21, 08010 Barcelona, Spain -- Info online, too
    ---------------------------------
    Enjoyed this restaurant, and wondered about the big bowl of tennis ball tomatoes. The waiter
    brought the toasted country bread along w/ garlic cloves and a tomato. He said to rub the garlic
    on both sides of the toast, add the tomato, and use the olive oil there on every table. Delicious bruschetta, although I think they
    called it just "pan" a la El Glop.
    Beautiful and tasty tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anon, or is this Melba again?
    I'll keep this restaurant in mind if I ever go back to Barcelona. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!