Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, July 19, 2007

PinGo Yogurt - Alhambra (Closed)

So after our dinner at Manna Korean BBQ, we were debating whether or not to stop off at Pinkberry. We really didn't have any room in our bellies, but the Pinkberry in Koreatown was so close. And frozen yogurt sounded so good after a heavy meal of meat. So then I suggested we give our meal time to digest by heading home but stopping off at PinGo Yogurt, which recently opened in Alhambra.
PinGo Yogurt - Alhambra 1
Me and my brilliant ideas.
PinGo Yogurt - Alhambra 2
The price is comparable to Pinkberry. This medium original with three toppings was roughly $5. But taste-wise, waaay more tart. The consistency though was good. Unfortunately, the mochi were hard little lumps. Stick to the fresh fruit toppings. We didn't bother finishing the mochi, but we did finish the fro-yo.
PinGo Yogurt - Alhambra 3
The thing with these Pinkberry copycats is that they don't quite look or taste the same, but they're charging the same prices. And they're cropping up everywhere. It'll only be a matter of time before they become too saturated and have to start dropping their prices. But in the San Gabriel Valley, there's only a few places that serve frozen yogurt so if you want your fix but don't want to drive, I guess this is good enough. I have since gone back and they've re-done their formula so it's not so tart anymore and very, very similar to Pinkberry. Also, they changed the mochi so they're now soft and chewy. February 24, 2010 update: PinGo Yogurt is now closed. Not even sure when it happened since Yogurtland opened up nearby with its 30 cents an ounce frozen yogurt, I, and probably everyone else, didn't even notice PinGo anymore. My other frozen yogurt posts: CeFiore - Los Angeles (Little Tokyo) CeFiore - Monterey Park Nubi Yogurt - San Gabriel Peach House - San Gabriel (Closed) Pinkberry - Los Angeles (Koreatown) Pinkberry - Pasadena Pinkberry - Rancho Cucamonga Silver Spoon - Alhambra PinGo Yogurt 35B W. Valley Blvd. Alhambra, CA 91801 626-282-9558 Open noon to 11 p.m.

7 comments:

  1. Yummy! I hear yogurt and frozen yogurt are better for you than ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm!! I lick! I lick! I'll pass on the bad mochi though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the interior of this joint. looks cute, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would never say no to that yummylicious dessert even though my belly is full hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly,
    They are healthier, that's why it's so popular in SoCal now.

    Henry,
    You have no tastebuds! They're not the same!

    Anon,
    All the fro-yo places more or less look like this too.

    Isha,
    We were hoping it would help digest some of the meat. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey WC,

    You want to know what's so funny? Pingo in Mandarin is "apple". So I was excited to see that apple logo (that's not a berry, but a picture of an apple in front of the store), so I decided to walk in.

    What did I find? Nothing. No apple yogurt flavor. No apple toppings and no apples in sight! Bummer to say the least that I thought it was a lousy name just to mirror the word Pinkberry.

    I believed there is another place up in Main street called Blue cherry. Yeah again...no blue cherry whatsoever.

    As in for Pingo, I give it three stars. Not bad, but I wished for more. Have you tried the Peach House that is on Valley/Del Mar? That is supposed to be a popular indy shop just like Pingo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pepsi Monster,
    Someone had told me about Pingo meaning apple. Tart apple flavor would have been good huh? I haven't been to Blue Cherry, but I did blog about Peach House a while back. I liked their peach fro-yo, but haven't been back since Nubi opened. Will update this post with my other fro-yo links.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!