Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, July 30, 2007

Pizza with Squash Blossoms and Prosciutto

Had enough of squash blossoms yet? :) This recipe isn't from that same colander chock full of squash blossoms that my uncle gave me, but I thought I'd post it before they're completely gone from the garden or farmers' markets. I actually didn't make this pizza dough. I have a recipe but it takes several hours for the dough to rise so I cheated a bit. I bought a 1-lb lump of fresh pizza dough from Claro's Italian Market in San Gabriel. It cost me about $1. And I splurged and bought 4 very thin slivers of the fancy prosciutto. $2.75 for those 4 little slices! Ouch! Squash Blossom and Prosciutto Pizza You'll need: About 1-lb of fresh pizza dough However much prosciutto you can afford Half a dozen squash blossoms or so A few drizzles of olive oil 1 8-oz can of tomato sauce A few dabs of ricotta cheese or cottage cheese Stretch out your pizza dough and brush some olive oil on top. Really? Do you need directions? OK, add tomato sauce and spread evenly. Layer some prosciutto slices. Add a few dabs of ricotta or cottage cheese. Artfully arrange squash blossoms on top like so. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden. And you'll get this. Surprisingly enough, even though they look dry, the squash blossoms were still nicely tender. Enjoy! My squash blossoms recipes: Bong Bi Nhoi Tom Chien (Vietnamese Shrimp-Stuffed Deep-fried Squash Blossoms) Crostinis with Arugula Pesto, Bruschetta al Pomodoro, and Squash Blossom Ricotta Deep-fried Squash Blossoms Deep-fried Squash Blossoms Stuffed with Basil and Cottage Cheese Ravioli with Basil, Squash Blossoms, and Ricotta Sauteed Squash Blossoms Squash Blossom Omelet Squash Blossom and Prosciutto Pizza Squash Blossom Quesadilla

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely pizza. That's pretty pricey for prosciutto, but you have to splurge every now and then. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite a pretty pizza - kind of delicate looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my goodness, that's some pricey prosciutto!! man, i think it looks so nice! i want to try some squash blossoms then! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good WC! They have a very similar pizza at Pizzeria Mozza, and yours looks just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a way cool way of implementing leftover squash blossoms.

    What do they taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good. THere was a similar pizza shown on foodtv yesterday i a segment about the best pizza place in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geesh lazy bum ;-)
    2 cups of unbleached/processed flour
    1 package of fast rising yeast
    1 cup of warm water
    1/2tsp of sugar or less to feed the yeast work it even fast.
    some olive oil

    fyi - dough will get very very warm when rising.

    less than an hour to rise I beat mine down after 30min.


    That is some expensive meat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice pizza, and the squash blossoms looks great on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly,
    Thanks!

    Nikki,
    I think squash blossoms make anything look delicate. :)

    Tigerfish,
    Unfortunately, squash blossoms on pizza isn't that original. :P

    Angela,
    Anytime you're in town, I'll stuff you silly!

    Marvin,
    So does this mean I can bypass Pizzeria Mozza?

    Jaded,
    They taste like spring to me. Green. I'm so bad at describing them.

    PeachyMango,
    Squash blossoms have gotten so trendy now!

    Bill,
    Thanks for the recipe, but you know I'm lazy. ;)

    EMWK,
    Thanks! Locate any squash blossoms near you yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeh they're trendy now but I haven't found any in Northern VA yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PeachyMango,
    Heh, guess they're not that trendy then. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!