Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, July 09, 2007

Claro's Italian Market - San Gabriel



I mentioned before that Norwegian cousin had asked about cannoli as one of the foods she wanted to try while she was in America. So on her last night in town, I brought home a box of the size small cannoli from Claro's Italian Market in San Gabriel.

"It's not pasta?" she asked.

Nope. They're pastry shells filled with slightly sweetened ricotta cheese and sprinkled with pistachios.




I had asked her where she heard about cannoli but she couldn't remember. My first guess was "The Sopranos," but now I think it was probably "Everybody Loves Raymond" since that momma was always coming over and putting cannoli in his fridge. :)

These were tiny though. About the size of my thumb. And for $1.39 each. So if you go, spring for the large, which is $2.50 but at least three times the size.

Claro's has been in San Gabriel for 59 years says the brightly painted signs on their windows. Its location is unusual now because Valley Boulevard is now primarily dominated by Chinese restaurants and businesses.

There's a full-service deli inside with various cuts of Italian meats and cheeses. You can build your own sandwich or choose from various hot pastas, both being quite popular during lunch times.



I chose the small Italian sandwich which featured mortadella, cioppo, and salami meats with provolone cheese for $4.49. Just half is more than enough to fill me up.



Here's a shot of the interior while I was waiting for my sandwich. Do you really need that much olive oil?



I also grabbed a couple of bags of pre-made pizza dough. It's about $1 a pound or so. They bake up really soft and fluffy.



You can also buy cookies by the pound.




The cannoli though are made fresh when you order.

Claro's Italian Market (various locations)
1003 E. Valley Blvd.
San Gabriel, CA 91776
626-288-2026
Monday - Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Closed Wednesdays

3 comments:

  1. However did you discover an Italian shop in the area is amazing to me! I love places with lots of nooks and crannies for making discoveries - like the shot you took of this shop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Claros! It really is a hidden gem among all the Asian retailers, even though it's in plain sight on Valley, hehe. The people who work there are super nice. When I went there to pick up stuff to make tiramisu they let me go into the kitchen to talk to Lena who ended up giving me tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki,
    Valley is a major street so I've driven past the store many times. The store does have lots of nooks and crannies though. Jars and cans piled everywhere.

    Jeannie,
    That is nice! Maybe I'll go get tiramisu tips too. Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!