Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, July 23, 2007

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino

After our dinner at The Boiling Crab in Alhambra, and because I'm a bad sister and didn't get my brother a birthday cake (But hey, he didn't get me one either on my last birthday!), I said I'd buy him dessert too. So after tossing back and forth a few ideas, I suggested Vanille de Patisserie in San Marino. He's been to the one in Rowland Heights and liked it, and I had driven by this location many times and wanted to try it myself.

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 1

This was around 9 p.m. I'm sure if it was located on Valley Boulevard, and closer to other Chinese businesses, it would have been hopping, but as it was in the more upscale and sleepy suburb of San Marino, there was only one other table of people.

Look! Cute but overpriced pastry-themed kitchenware.

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 2

The obligatory bakery display case shot. They always look so tempting don't they?

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 3

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 4

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 5

I recognized those striped teacups from IKEA!

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 6

This is Forget Me Not. $3.95. French taro paste, vanilla cake, creme brulee. The taro paste was surprisingly strong in flavor.

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 7

This was Romance $3, lychee and champagne mousse.

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 8

The chef's special. I forgot what it was supposed to taste like or what it did eventually taste like. :P

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 9

Sweden Chocolate $4.95, caramel and chocolate buttercream, chocolate mousse. This was my favorite of the night. Rich in chocolate flavor without being too overpowering.

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 10

I also noticed this sign while we were there. So you know what that means?

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 11

A second trip, of course!

This time, I gathered up the middle '87 (because I knew she had been disappointed with our dinner at Manna Korean BBQ a few nights before) and the two 88s (who I knew wanted to be mentioned on the blog too). In fact, they wanted to be on the blog so badly that when I gave a 45 minute deadline to wake up and be ready, they were only 5 minutes late. This is a big deal considering the girls never rise before 2 in the afternoon.

I decided to take them here as a pre-meal instead of afterward. Who says you can't eat dessert first?

This is Dream, $3.75 mango and passionfruit mousse, mascarpone cheese, green tea powder. Oooh, it was heavenly. On Wedgwood china too!

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 12

And the $4.99 afternoon tea special of six cakes with coffee or tea, hot or cold. We chose iced green tea.

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 13

Six pieces of cake (or rather half-pieces). The green tea and red bean cake was my favorite. The other flavors were chocolate, coffee, and strawberry. You can't pick out the cakes for the afternoon tea, but at this price, I'm not going to quibble. I think they're probably yesterday's cakes, but they all still tasted fresh and were nicely presented.

Vanille de Patisserie - San Marino 14

Six pieces of cake and a large glass of real brewed iced green tea for $4.99. Every day from noon to 4 p.m. Really! Can't beat a bargain like that! Dessert first indeed!

And with that to stimulate our palates, the girls and I were off to lunch.

P.S. They also make wedding cakes but that'll set you back at least four digits.

May 26, 2009 update: The current location is closed. The new location is a few doors west at 2968 Huntington Dr. Afternoon tea is now $6.99 and goes from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. And yes, it still includes six pieces of cake and coffee or tea.

Other Chinese bakeries:
Happy Bakery - San Gabriel
Kee Wah Bakery - Monterey Park
Kiki Bakery - Alhambra
Kiki Bakery - Monterey Park
MoMo Bakery - Alhambra

Vanille de Patisserie (two locations)
2998 Huntington Dr.
San Marino, CA 91108
626-286-3600

7 comments:

  1. I would happily forgo a birthday present for a meal like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    Yeah, we've just gradually phased out presents in favor of food for birthdays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The afternoon tea deal is no more - at least at the Rowland Heights location(and even before phasing out, they were reducing the portions from half-cakes to bite-sized) Sadness. :(

    Sweden Chocolate is my fave cake their too -- I also like their lighter-than-most cheesecakes, but everything else is a bit too light and subtle, in sweetness and flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those desserts are so elaborate! How funny that they pair them with dishes from Ikea :)

    The mango one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HC,
    Oh no! It's been a while since I've gone. :(

    Olga,
    They've got Wedgwood plates too. And plates from Marshall's. I kinda like the mix-n-match effect. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!