Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Deep-Fried Squash Blossoms Stuffed with Basil and Cottage Cheese

Marvin of Burnt Lumpia's post about longanisa-stuffed squash blossoms reminded me that I still had several recipes sitting in my queue. Oh surely you didn't think I was done with squash blossoms did you? I bought a $1 bag of squash blossoms still attached to zucchini at the farmers' market in Alhambra. They just looked so cute, I couldn't resist. I decided I wanted to do an Italian-style squash blossom recipe by stuffing them with basil and cheese. I had cottage cheese on hand, but ricotta would probably work better. Either way, they were good. Deep-Fried Squash Blossoms Stuffed with Basil and Cottage Cheese You'll need: As many squash blossoms as you wish About 1 tblsp of cheese per blossom About 1 or 2 basil leaves per blossom Some flour for the batter Squash blossoms should be carefully washed inside and out, stamens removed. Slice basil leaves into thin strips and mix with cottage or ricotta cheese like so. Then prepare a simple batter of flour and water. I don't measure but you can start with equal parts flour and water until it's the consistency you wish. Deep fry until golden. I served mine on a bed of angel hair pasta with tomato sauce, and the leftover basil and cottage cheese mixture in the center. Hmm. I think I ended up making this with too many colors. But it was lovely. Enjoy! My squash blossoms recipes: Bong Bi Nhoi Tom Chien (Vietnamese Shrimp-Stuffed Deep-fried Squash Blossoms) Crostinis with Arugula Pesto, Bruschetta al Pomodoro, and Squash Blossom Ricotta Deep-fried Squash Blossoms Deep-fried Squash Blossoms Stuffed with Basil and Cottage Cheese Ravioli with Basil, Squash Blossoms, and Ricotta Sauteed Squash Blossoms Squash Blossom Omelet Squash Blossom and Prosciutto Pizza Squash Blossom Quesadilla

5 comments:

  1. I was soooo close to driving all the way out to Alhambra last weekend to get my squash blossoms. But I figured I'd chance it and check out Pomona instead (Claremont is my default FM). Even though I found some in Pomona, the ones you get from Alhambra and from your uncle look so much better and fresher. Mine didn't have stamens either, I think they must've wilted out:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely recipe... The Italian way of frying them is nice, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for the squash blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvin,
    Wow! Really? That'd be quite a drive just for some squash blossoms. Although I have to admit, I think the squash blossom selection in Alhambra is better.

    Anh,
    Thanks. I think they turned out quite nice.

    EMWK,
    :)

    W&S,
    Please do! I'd love to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!