Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Frijoles Negros (Cuban Black Beans)



No Cuban meal is complete without a side of black beans. My recipe is horribly inauthentic as it involves the use of hot dogs. Yes, I still had some of the free Hoffy's hot dogs left over. Don't worry, you can't see or taste the hot dogs, but it adds a nice meatiness to the dish.



Frijoles Negros (Cuban Black Beans)

You'll need:
1 can black beans, or 1 cup dried black beans (Make sure you soak them overnight first.)
1 medium onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 hot dogs, diced, or ham if you prefer
1 bay leaf, or 1 tsp minced bay leaves
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
salt, to taste
red wine vinegar, to taste
cilantro, chopped for garnish at the end

Optional: 1 bell pepper, diced

In a pan on high heat, saute onion until softened. Add hot dogs and saute until golden. Dump in the can of black beans. Fill up the empty can with water and add that water to the pan as well. Add a bay leaf, or 1 tsp minced bay leaves, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp cumin. When the mixture boils, turn heat down to medium low, cover the pot, and let simmer for about half an hour. Check and add water if needed. If you're using dried beans, it'll take a lot longer.

The beans will start to get mushy, you'll want to make them halfway mushier. That means take a potato masher and just slightly mash the beans, still leaving most of them whole. That makes them that thick soupy consistency. Add salt and red wine vinegar to taste. You want to add the vinegar at the end because it prevents the beans from softening.

Garnish with chopped cilantro if you wish. Serve with rice, of course.

And in case you missed it, I served these black beans as part of my Cuban dinner with pastel de tres leche (cake of 3 milks), bananas frita (fried bananas), and lemon garlic roast chicken.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could have access to canned black beans more easily. You know in Oz, to make this dish, I need to soak and cook the dried beans... And it makes me too lazy! but well, I think I need to move around, too. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I effing LOVE black beans! Luckily I don't toot after I eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anh,
    Really? I guess there's not such a demand for black beans in Oz?

    Christine,
    Yeah right you think you don't stink! I can smell you through the screen! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I need to start wearing boxes of baking soda in my pants...=P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!