Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Kabuki Japanese Restaurant - Pasadena (Foothill Blvd.)

So after bringing me a peach-stuffed doughnut from The Donut Man, my brother ended up hanging around until dinner time. My cousin asked if we wanted to go out for sushi so we met up with her sister at Kabuki Japanese Restaurant in Pasadena, the one on Foothill Boulevard, not the one in Old Town. Little did we know that sushi for these three girls meant no raw stuff and loads of California rolls. :P

I've mentioned the Kabuki in Rancho Cucamonga before. Yes, it's Americanized, but it's OK sushi for its price. But while the Rancho Cucamonga and Old Town locations have the benefit of being in outdoor shopping areas, this location was just in a typical strip mall. Even then, it was quite packed and we had to wait for a table.

I don't think the green tea was free at this location, but the edamame was.

Seaweed salad for $4.95. Nothing special, but actually kinda pricey for such a small portion. It was maybe a loose handful's worth. In the grocery store, this runs me about $2-$3.

Calamari for $7.95. Hmm. On the menu it says calamari "rings." None of the pieces look like rings do they? Not bad though.

Here's my brother sticking his chopsticks into the picture so he can get a mention on my blog. My family likes to do that a lot you know. Tuna $3.50, yellowtail $3.50, Japanese snapper $2.95, salmon $3.25. Actually, you're probably better off getting the sushi than the rolls because they taste a slightly fresher.

Starting from the upper left of the top row, there's large roll of shrimp, avocado, egg, and vegetables for $4.50, spicy tuna roll for $4.25, spicy albacore hand roll $3.95, three orders of California rolls at $3.50 each, and BSCR or baked scallop on California roll for $4.95.

Cucumber sea eel roll for $3.95.

Tempura California roll for $6.95.

Gee, do you think my cousins got their fill of all the cooked variations of the California roll? Anyway, as I said before, the cheap sushi isn't bad for its price.

Kabuki Japanese Restaurant
3539 E. Foothill Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91107
626-351-8963
Monday - Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Friday - Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

2 comments:

  1. All looks so tempting! There's a sushi place in Monrovia (I think) that used to be called Discount Sushi or some such thing - kind of a scary concept! But they've renamed something less suspect and have great sashimi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki,
    Ack! Why do people not think things through when they think of names?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!