Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, August 17, 2007

Bananas Frita (Cuban Fried Bananas)


Mmm. I do love my fried bananas. Lightly crispy on the outside, soft and sweet on the inside. These are not to be confused with maduros, which are fried plantains and taste quite different.

I remember years ago when I was on the Atkins diet and asked Versailles Cuban Food Restaurant in Culver City to hold the rice. The waiter asked me if I wanted extra fried bananas instead. I know all that sugar in the fruit wasn't Atkins-approved but no way was I gonna turn that offer down!

I could never find a proper recipe for this, so I tried pan-frying regular bananas, then deep-frying them. It's not the healthiest food in the world, but deep-fried bananas are awesome! And they tasted like what I got at Versailles. :) So until someone tells me a better method, this is my approximation of Cuban fried bananas.

Bananas Frita (Cuban Fried Bananas)

You'll need:
Plan on a banana or two per person if you're greedy like me.

Slice bananas. Deep fry until golden and lightly crispy. That's it!

I served these as part of a Cuban-themed dinner with frijoles negros (Cuban black beans), pastel de tres leches (cake of 3 milks), and lemon garlic roast chicken.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Ooo! Deep fried bananas for dinner is such a treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Singapore, or Malaysia, we call it Goreng pisang. Maybe you can ask your cousin(or friend?) who is in S'pore to try them for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am dying for something sweet to eat. I have nothing sweet in the house. Then I come here and you make my mouth water with every post!

    Those bananas look good, the chocolate cookies down below look good, even your tres leche cake looks good--and I don't even like that. (At least the one time I made it, I didn't like it.)

    I think you should try out for one of the "Who will be the Next FoodTV Star?" shows. Did you ever consider doing that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey WC - That's a very nice meal you put together...the Missus is a sucker for fried bananas.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey wandering,

    these look yum! i'm still not a fan of plantains, but since these are different and better, this may get me started on fried bananas! thanks for sharin' another great innovation :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. EMWK,
    I can eat fried bananas at any time!

    Tigerfish,
    How is Singaporean fried bananas made? VNese batter them.

    Zoey,
    Haha, I remember that post. You threw out the tres leches cake didn't you?

    I'm flattered but I don't think I've got the competitive streak for those shows. Besides that, the camera adds way too many pounds for me! :)

    Kirk,
    I'm a sucker for fried bananas too!

    Henry,
    Plantains, bananas, you don't like either of them! Don't force yourself. This is gonna be like the ceviche incident again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deep fried banana slices sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kevin,
    Thanks for visiting my blog! They were indeed very tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!