Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, August 03, 2007

Cherry Cinnamon Jam


These cherries were very sweet, but I had a batch of not-so sweet cherries that I made into a jam. I was inspired by Tongue in Cheek's post, except I drastically cut down on the amount of sugar used. If you've always wanted to try making your own jams and preserves, it's really very simple. You don't need to make enough to last through the winter like days of yore or whatever, just enough for you to enjoy. And you don't need to buy any special pectin or preservatives. Simmering the fruit for a long while will release its natural fruit pectin.

Cherry Cinnamon Jam
Adapted from Tongue in Cheek

For 1 small jar of jam, you'll need:
1 cup of cherries, pitted
1 heaping tblsp sugar, or 2 tblsps if you like sweeter jam
1 tsp cinnamon

Wash and pit cherries. Add 1 heaping tblsp of sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon and mix thoroughly. Let the mixture sit for an hour or so to dissolve the sugar.

Add mixture to a heavy pan, I used my enameled cast iron pot for this. Turn heat to medium-high and let it gently come to a boil. Give it a quick stir and let it simmer on medium-low to low until the mixture thickens to your liking. Sporadically check up on it and give it a stir every once in a while. This should take another hour or so if you like the cherries to still remain mostly whole like this. Simmer longer if you want them more jam-like.

When the cherries are the consistency you like, spoon them hot into a jar, close the lid tightly, then flip it upside-down. The heat will cause the lid top to "pop," thus sealing the jam. Store until ready to eat.


Serve spread on toast, or however you like jam.

I made this back in June and it lasted for several months in the fridge just fine. It could probably go longer but I've eaten it all up by now. That's also why I made a small batch, just enough for eating one jar at a time.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. looks great! i'm surprised at how long it lasted without any preservatives.. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! yummy
    No more cherry season here :( But we have blackberry season on bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one jar at a time - what an excellent idea! I've tried canning and can't do it to save my life. This looks do-able.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is the peanut or almond butter on your bread with the jam! :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! What a cool combo -- spicy cinnamin and tart cherries. Do the cherries lose their tanginess in the process?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I'm so sad cherry season is over here in WA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Henry,
    Thanks!

    Isha,
    Thanks!

    Cooking Ninja,
    I love blackberries more than cherries.

    Nikki,
    Small batches is the way to go.

    Tigerfishy,
    It's what's on toast, not in a sandwich. ;)

    Kelly,
    Yes, with enough sugar, the cherries become sweet.

    Amy,
    Aww, I know how much you like your cherries. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. The jam looks great!

    I've never actually made jam before so um, do you put the hot/warm jam into the jar or wait till it's cool?

    Logic is telling me you put it in hot so that when it cools, the lid top "pops"...then again...I'm not very logical!

    ReplyDelete
  9. W&S,
    Yes, spoon them in while hot so the heat can seal the lid and cause the top to "pop." Thanks for asking, I fixed the directions to explain it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!