Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hibiscus Leaf and Pomegranate Mixed Greens Salad


When Barry had sent me the Jungle Red Hibiscus, he mentioned that the leaves were edible as well as the flowers. So with a bag of mixed salad greens from the farmers' market in Alhambra and some pomegranates from my garden, I made a really pretty salad.

The Jungle Red Hibiscus leaves are tart, reminiscent of sorrel, but oh so much prettier since they look like burgundy maple leaves.

Hibiscus Leaf and Pomegranate Mixed Greens Salad

You'll need:

For salad:

However many mixed salad greens you'd like
Any edible hibiscus leaves you can find
Sprinkles of pomegranate seeds

For dressing:

balsamic vinegar
olive oil
freshly ground black pepper

Wash and toss salad greens and hibiscus leaves. Sprinkle on some pomegranate seeds. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Give a few turns of black pepper in your pepper mill.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued. What does a Hibiscus Leaf taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elmo,
    Good catch. I fixed it on the post. They're tart and taste like sorrel. I was pleasantly surprised. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, I haven't had hibiscus leaf since I lived abroad in a tropical place where they were abundant. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tasted hibiscus leaf either. I don't think I've ever seen them in markets...or maybe I just haven't noticed! They make the salad very colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly,
    It was my first time trying them.

    W&S,
    I've never seen them in markets either. I don't know if it'd be that much of a demand?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wooo...hooo....oooohhh....sooooo...healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tigerfish,
    Oh, don't worry. I have unhealthy stuff coming up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks simple and yummy! The pomegranate seeds are pretty light though, aren't they usually more of a bloody red color? Well hopefully that means less stain-age if you happen to squirt one on your shirt. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeannie,
    These pomegranates are yellow and not the red version you're used to seeing, so they're much sweeter in flavor. And yes, less stain-age too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!