Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, February 02, 2007

Farmers' Market - Alhambra

The Farmers' Market in Alhambra is one of my favorites because of the variety of Asian fruits, vegetables, and flowers offered. Eating what's in season is better for you and better for the environment. Most farmers cut their produce the day before taking them to market. Vegetables haven't been sitting on store displays for weeks. And buying directly from the farmers means your money goes directly to them.





Hachiya and Fuyu persimmons and Japanese pears.



Sprouts!



Stalks of Brussels sprouts $5.




Two kinds of baby, baby bok choy. Smaller than the normal baby bok choy. Does that make them preemie bok choy? :)



I thought citrus prices were supposed to rise because of the freeze?



Thai broccoli, much sweeter than gai lan (Chinese broccoli).



I wish I had a sugarcane press so I can make juice.



Gorgeous orchids.





Just in time for the Lunar New Year, plum blossom branches and gourds.







Cyclamen.



And per tradition, I gave my cousin a dollar so he could buy freshly popped kettle corn. Oh, man! I had forgotten how much I liked kettle corn with its salty, sweet flavors.



The size small is still a pretty big bag.





Tamales $1.50.





The pupusas at Tia Marina's are made fresh when you order. I couldn't snap photos fast enough but she patted the dough flat, added the fillings, folded up the sides to make a ball, pinched off the excess dough on top, and then flattened it again.



Revuelta pupusa stuffed with pork, beans, and cheese, with a side of curtido (slaw) $3.



December 11, 2008 Update: There's a different stall that sells the pupusas now.

Other farmers' markets:
Farmers' Market - Claremont
Farmers' Market - South Pasadena

Farmers' Market in Alhambra
On Monterey, between Bay and Main Streets
Alhambra, CA 91801
626-570-5081
Sundays 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

7 comments:

  1. I never know Brussel Sprouts come in a stalk like that...what a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love all these pix! I enjoy farmers' market near my place as well, but depending on the location some farmers markets have more "offerings" than others. This one you have...WOW. I love the persimmons, pears,and the all the greens (baby bok choys, broccoli, bruseel sprouts). I bought one stalk of brussel sprouts before and enjoyed them a lot- steamed then tossed with some butter, salt, pepper. They even have CNY stuff eg plum blossoms ?

    I've just tagged you in my new post. Ha! I recalled you have enough postings for the next 3 wks...so don't mind another one? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rasa Malaysia,
    Isn't it cool? :)

    Tigerfish,
    Yup, the vast selection is why I love the Alhambra Farmers' Market.

    Tagged huh? OK, lemme see what I want to reveal about myself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow. i must visit this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jin,
    I'm usually at this one so let me know when you want to come.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!