Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Canh Bi Tom (Vietnamese Winter Melon Soup with Shrimp)

Canh Bi Tom (Vietnamese Winter Melon Soup with Shrimp) 1

Thanks everyone for being so concerned. Lil' sis is taking care of me. Care for another recipe from the sickroom?

I got this winter melon from my uncle way back in November. Winter melons store really well.

Canh Bi Tom (Vietnamese Winter Melon Soup with Shrimp) 2

The white flesh softens very quickly. It's very light in taste and is just slightly sweet.

Canh Bi Tom (Vietnamese Winter Melon Soup with Shrimp) 3

Peel the outer rind and remove the seeds.

Canh Bi Tom (Vietnamese Winter Melon Soup with Shrimp) 4

Canh Bi Tom (Vietnamese Winter Melon Soup with Shrimp)

For a 2-quart pot, you'll need:

About 3 cups winter melon, rind and seeds removed, cubed
about 10 shrimp, peeled, deveined, minced
About 1 tblsp Nuoc Mam (Vietnamese Fish Sauce)
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste

Peel, devein, and mince shrimp. Sprinkle salt on the shrimp, mix thoroughly, and set aside.

Fill a 2-quart pot with water and shrimp shells. When water boils, scoop shrimp shells out and add winter melon. Turn heat down to medium and allow to simmer until winter melon softens, about 15 minutes.

Add minced shrimp and fish sauce to taste.

All gone. This is what the bowl looks like on the inside. Do you like my bowl?

Canh Bi Tom (Vietnamese Winter Melon Soup with Shrimp) 5

This is what the bowl looks like in front.

Canh Bi Tom (Vietnamese Winter Melon Soup with Shrimp) 6

And back.

Canh Bi Tom (Vietnamese Winter Melon Soup with Shrimp) 7

Enjoy!

My other canh recipes:
Canh Bap Cai Bac Thao (Vietnamese Napa Cabbage Soup)
Canh Bi/Bau Nhoi Thit (Vietnamese Pork-Stuffed Winter Melon Soup)
Canh Chua Ca (Vietnamese Sour Fish Soup)
Canh Chua Tom (Vietnamese Sour Shrimp Soup)
Canh Cu Sen (Vietnamese Lotus Root Soup)
Canh O/Kho Qua Nhoi Thit (Vietnamese Stuffed Bitter Melon Soup)
Canh Rau Cuu Ky (Vietnamese (Chinese) Boxthorn Soup)

10 comments:

  1. Pretty bowl :D
    The winter melon soup with pork must be sweet & savory! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you. Feel better soon.

    I like the new site design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute bowl! and how did you store your bi? i didn't know it could last that long. i love this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bill,
    I do that sometimes too. :)

    Tigerfish,
    Soup is good for sickies.

    CP,
    Thanks.

    Budding Cook,
    I store my bi in my pantry, dark and cool. It should last for months and months. I think winter melons got their name b/c they're supposed to last through the winter. Just monitor and make sure there's no soft spots, if so, then cook as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey WC - I'm glad you're getting a little TLC! Get well....soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kirk,
    Thanks for being so concerned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you recovered in a short time. -- Many years ago I used to
    grow the winter melon, but it was a more blocky shape than the one you show in the photo. I always
    enjoyed the way it looked, covered
    with the waxy "bloom." Yes, it will last months in the house during the winter. Try growing it.
    Melba

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melba,
    There's lots of different kinds of wintermelon. The larger kind you mention I've seen scooped out and used as a container for wintermelon soup. Very pretty. My uncle actually grows them in his yard so I just get mine from him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your bowl. makes me want to make one just like that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!