Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, February 05, 2007

Pupusas with Beans and Cheese

So you know me, after seeing how pupusas were made in person at the Farmers' Market in Alhambra, I had to give it a shot myself. They ended up being super easy to make.

I just used the tortilla recipe on the side of my bag of masa harina.

Pupusas with Beans and Cheese

For about 4 to 6 palm-sized pupusas, you'll need:

2 cups masa harina (corn flour, not corn meal)
1 to 1 1/4 cup water
refried beans
shredded cheese

Mix 1 cup water with 2 cups masa harina until a slightly wet lump of dough is formed. The dough should not "crack" when you press down on it. Add more water, starting with 1 tblsp at a time, until you get the right consistency.


In the first method, flatten the lump of dough back and forth in your hands until two equal-sized discs are formed. You may use a rolling pin if you want the dough thinner.

Pile a spoonful of beans and some shredded cheese on one of the discs. I had leftover refried beans from a Mexican lunch.

Top the other disc over the mixture and smooth the edges.


In the more advanced method, make a dent in the ball of dough. Fill with beans and cheese.

Gather up the sides until the mixture is covered.


You'll get a ball of dough again with the mixture in the center.

Flatten the ball of dough again.

Pan fry for about 10 minutes until corn flour is golden.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! You made a pupusa! That looks fun and easy. Extra kudos for using Mexican leftovers. I can tell you liked playing with PlayDoh when you were little. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is new to me here.:D
    It's savory, must be, with the beans and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this looks good. :) i should try it. so corn masa can be found in a regular grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joey,
    Thanks.

    Elmo,
    Play-doh? I was poor. I played with mud! Made little dishes and bowls and even a pueblo village out of mud.

    Tigerfish,
    It's OK. I wouldn't think there'd be that many El Salvadoreans in Singapore for you to be familiar with this dish.

    Budding Cook,
    I bought mine at Albertson's. It's either in the Hispanic foods aisle or with flour and baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh ~ now I want pupusas! Looks easier than I thought, may be I'll attempt it next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!