Monday, February 05, 2007

Pupusas with Beans and Cheese

So you know me, after seeing how pupusas were made in person at the Farmers' Market in Alhambra, I had to give it a shot myself. They ended up being super easy to make.

I just used the tortilla recipe on the side of my bag of masa harina.

Pupusas with Beans and Cheese

For about 4 to 6 palm-sized pupusas, you'll need:

2 cups masa harina (corn flour, not corn meal)
1 to 1 1/4 cup water
refried beans
shredded cheese

Mix 1 cup water with 2 cups masa harina until a slightly wet lump of dough is formed. The dough should not "crack" when you press down on it. Add more water, starting with 1 tblsp at a time, until you get the right consistency.

In the first method, flatten the lump of dough back and forth in your hands until two equal-sized discs are formed. You may use a rolling pin if you want the dough thinner.

Pile a spoonful of beans and some shredded cheese on one of the discs. I had leftover refried beans from a Mexican lunch.

Top the other disc over the mixture and smooth the edges.

In the more advanced method, make a dent in the ball of dough. Fill with beans and cheese.

Gather up the sides until the mixture is covered.

You'll get a ball of dough again with the mixture in the center.

Flatten the ball of dough again.

Pan fry for about 10 minutes until corn flour is golden.



  1. Wow! You made a pupusa! That looks fun and easy. Extra kudos for using Mexican leftovers. I can tell you liked playing with PlayDoh when you were little. ;-)

  2. Everything is new to me here.:D
    It's savory, must be, with the beans and cheese.

  3. wow this looks good. :) i should try it. so corn masa can be found in a regular grocery store?

  4. Joey,

    Play-doh? I was poor. I played with mud! Made little dishes and bowls and even a pueblo village out of mud.

    It's OK. I wouldn't think there'd be that many El Salvadoreans in Singapore for you to be familiar with this dish.

    Budding Cook,
    I bought mine at Albertson's. It's either in the Hispanic foods aisle or with flour and baked goods.

  5. Ooooh ~ now I want pupusas! Looks easier than I thought, may be I'll attempt it next time.


Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!