Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, July 04, 2009

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Cow Hollow)

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 1

After my college friend picked me up, we met up with our other friend at La Boulange Cafe & Bakery near her work in Cow Hollow. Such a cute French cafe.



La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 2

As I stood there trying to decide what to order, someone came and hugged me from behind. Yay! My other friend had arrived!

Gosh, with everything these days, it was rare to be able to have an afternoon with my two friends again with nothing to distract us. Weddings or visits with significant others are fine and good, but I missed just hanging with my girlfriends. We happily reminisced about our "family" dinners during college, which always ended with Jell-O no bake cheesecake. Or caught up about the new guy in my friend's life (whom she married). And played with my other friend's new baby.

One of them ordered soup and half a sandwich. And this huge hot chocolate, which came in a bowl.

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 3

We shared a Nicoise salad with tuna, potatoes, green beans, tomato, olives, roasted red pepper, eggs, aioli, and greens, $10.

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 4

Forgot what this one was, but it was warmed and toasted so that's why my friend liked it and says she orders it often.

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 5

Boulange Club with turkey, bacon, avocado, tomato, lettuce, aioli, pain de mie, $9.

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 6

The half of the sandwich that came with the soup. The back wall had a huge selection of self-service jams and pickles.

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 7

Time for dessert!

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 8

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 9

Our selection of chocolate croissant, chocolate chip madeleine, macarons, and canele.

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 10

And my friend's styling of the pastries to make it nicer for the blog. :)

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 11

I have decided that macarons are not meant to be shared. Every time I try, cutting it into halves or quarters, I end up disappointed. A macaron is so insubstantial that it's tasteless. One must be a greedy hog and eat the whole macaron oneself to truly enjoy it.

After that, we said our good-byes. My friend had to get back to work.

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Marina Cow Hollow) 12

My other friend dropped me off in Union Square, where I was meeting up with the middle '87.

3 Union Square - San Francisco

All Northern California posts can be found with the tag, Series: NorCal, but I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge
La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Cow Hollow)
The Wok Shop - San Francisco (Chinatown)
Burma Superstar Restaurant - San Francisco (Inner Richmond)
Ti Couz - San Francisco (Mission)
Behind the Scenes: Jamba Juice Headquarters - Emeryville

Thanks again to Neighbor Agency, which handles PR for Jamba Juice, for sponsoring my trip to San Francisco. They paid for my plane fare, and pick up and drop off from Jamba Juice headquarters. All other excursions were mine and paid for by me.

La Boulange Cafe & Bakery
1909 Union St.
San Francisco, CA 94123
415-440-4450
7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

*****
1 year ago today, Independence Day barbeque.
2 years ago today, after two weeks' absence because I was entertaining Norwegian cousin, I began backdating/updating posts and asked everyone to guess where I've been?

3 comments:

  1. I agree - macarons should never ever be shared! Plus they are tiny as it is -- best to be eaten (and savored) in two or three bites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi wc - right on about the macarons! heehee "greedy hog"! la boulange looked like a charming place...i'll have to check that place out for our next sf trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana,
    Yup. Gotta be selfish with macarons! That's the only way I've learned to enjoy them.

    CC,
    I know it's a chain, but it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!