Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hot Mit Luoc (Vietnamese Boiled Jackfruit Seeds)

Hot Mit Luoc (Vietnamese Boiled Jackfruit Seeds) 1


This one's a quick and easy recipe. As I said previously, my mom said jackfruit seeds could be boiled or roasted. They look like chestnuts, don't they? Sort of tastes like it too.

Read my primer on how to eat jackfruit if you don't know.



Hot Mit Luoc (Vietnamese Boiled Jackfruit Seeds) 2


Hot Mit Luoc (Vietnamese Boiled Jackfruit Seeds)

For as many jackfruit seeds as you'd like:

Seeds from fresh jackfruit
Water

Boil water! Add jackfruit seeds!

That's it! :P

OK, OK. I think I left the seeds simmering for about 15 minutes? That seemed to do the trick. Leave the seeds for longer if they're not soft enough for your liking.


Hot Mit Luoc (Vietnamese Boiled Jackfruit Seeds) 3


They really did taste a bit like chestnuts, slightly starchy and crunchy. The only problem is... well, how do I put this delicately?

I can't.

Let's just say, I remembered a childhood ditty about why jackfruit rhymes with fart in Vietnamese. :P

You've been warned!

Enjoy!

My Vietnamese jackfruit recipes:
Goi Mit Non Tom Thit Heo (Vietnamese Green Jackfruit Salad with Pork and Shrimp)
Thit Heo Kho Mit (Vietnamese Braised Pork with Jackfruit)
Tropical Fruit Cocktail Delight

*****
1 year ago today, Honey Spice Cake.
2 years ago today, Mellazane alla Parmagiana (Italian Eggplant Parmesan).

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could eat the seeds, too!

    I have to admit at first glance, I totally thought those were little hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look like chestnuts. Sweet at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan,
    I didn't either until my mom told me. They do look like little hearts!

    katie,
    Nope. Rather bland.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!