Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Cranberry Plum Hoisin Sauce

Cranberry, Plum, Hoisin Sauce 1

Since I was making Peking Duck-Style Roast Turkey with Flour Wrappers, Scallions, and Cucumbers, it seemed only natural to add cranberry sauce to the usual hoisin sauce that's drizzled on top.

Cranberry/Plum/Hoisin Sauce

For about one bowl of sauce, you'll need:
1 lb fresh cranberries
2 cups apple, orange, or pineapple juice
2 to 4 tblsp sugar
About 2 tblsp Chinese plum sauce
About 2 tblsp Chinese hoisin sauce

Wash and rinse cranberries. I like to use my enameled cast iron pot for this to retain heat and speed up cooking time. Add cranberries to the pot and 2 cups of whichever juice you prefer. When the mixture boils, turn the heat down to medium-low and let it simmer until the cranberries all pop and thicken into a sauce. This takes about half an hour, or longer depending on stove and cooking times.

If the mixture is too thick and the cranberries haven't popped yet, add more juice or water. When the sauce is almost done, taste and add sugar until it's to your liking.

Plum sauce is also called duck sauce since it's served with roast duck. Hoisin sauce is the typical sauce for Peking duck, however. I like Koon Chun brand plum sauce.

Cranberry, Plum, Hoisin Sauce 2

Add about 2 tblsp each of plum and hoisin sauce to the cranberry sauce. Taste and adjust if necessary.

Cranberry, Plum, Hoisin Sauce 3

Serve with Peking duck or roast turkey.

Enjoy!

My "Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner with an Asian Fusion Twist" recipes:
Apple Crumble Pie
Ca Ri Ga (Vietnamese Curry Chicken) Pot Pie 
Chai Black Tea
Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry/Plum/Hoisin Sauce
Mashed Okinawan Purple Sweet Potatoes
Peking Duck-Style Roast Turkey with Flour Wrappers, Scallions, Cucumbers and Cranberry/Plum/Hoisin Sauce
Pumpkin Pie with Chai Spices
Sichuan Green Beans
Taro Dinner Rolls

And the leftover turkey recipes:
Shichimenchou (Japanese Turkey Bone) Ramen
Turkey and Cranberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Turkey Vegetable Soup

*****
1 year ago today, Gaennip Kimchee (Korean Pickled Perilla Leaves).
2 years ago today, Muop Tom Xao (Vietnamese Loofah and Shrimp Stir-Fry.

4 comments:

  1. That's an interesting twist on hoisin. I bet that would make a pretty good stand-in for barbeque sauce on grilled chicken, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an innovative idea! I always love cranberry sauce in my turkey sandwiches, but this is an Asian-fusion sauce that I must definitely try on my savory poultry meats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, WC...how sweetly satisfying is that?? And to think my turkey went without. That is definitely calling for a redo in my kitchen....soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonathan,
    I didn't even think of it as barbecue sauce, but that sounds like a great idea.

    PE,
    Afterward, I made an awesome turkey and cranberry grilled cheese sandwich.

    BB,
    No one eats the sauce anyway. It's all about the gravy with turkey. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!