Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Sauce 1

Even though hardly anyone eats it, I always make fresh cranberry sauce to go with the roast turkey for Thanksgiving. Cranberries are low-lying shrubs or vines that grow in acidic bogs throughout the Northeastern U.S. (and Oregon!) and Canada.

Cranberries are tart, with a spongy interior. There's not much to my recipe, I just boil them in apple or orange juice for at least half an hour or longer until the berries all burst. It's so simple that there's really no excuse to serve the stuff in a can.

Cranberry Sauce 2

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

For about one bowl of sauce, you'll need:
1 lb fresh cranberries
2 cups apple, orange, or pineapple juice
2 to 4 tblsp sugar

Wash and rinse cranberries. I like to use my enameled cast iron pot for this to retain heat and speed up cooking time. Add cranberries to the pot and 2 cups of whichever juice you prefer. When the mixture boils, turn the heat down to medium-low and let it simmer until the cranberries all pop and thicken into a sauce. This takes about half an hour, or longer depending on stove and cooking times.

If the mixture is too thick and the cranberries haven't popped yet, add more juice or water. When the sauce is almost done, taste and add sugar until it's to your liking.

That's it.

Serve with roast turkey.

Cranberry Sauce 3

Enjoy!

My "Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner with an Asian Fusion Twist" recipes:
Apple Crumble Pie
Ca Ri Ga (Vietnamese Curry Chicken) Pot Pie 
Chai Black Tea
Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry/Plum/Hoisin Sauce
Mashed Okinawan Purple Sweet Potatoes
Peking Duck-Style Roast Turkey with Flour Wrappers, Scallions, Cucumbers and Cranberry/Plum/Hoisin Sauce
Pumpkin Pie with Chai Spices
Sichuan Green Beans
Taro Dinner Rolls

And the leftover turkey recipes:
Shichimenchou (Japanese Turkey Bone) Ramen
Turkey and Cranberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Turkey Vegetable Soup

*****
1 year ago today, this is how I party or how to have a Korean barbecue at home.
2 years ago today, Doughnut Bread Pudding.

4 comments:

  1. Why does no one eat it? Then I have to come over to your house for Thanksgiving, and I will eat your cranberry sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PE,
    B/c my cousins all love gravy. They drizzle gravy over everything. But you're welcome any time to come eat anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is similar to the type my mom makes and I had today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justine,
    Ah, lovely! It's always nice to know when one of my recipes is like someone else's mom's. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!